WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you feel sorry for Mo. State if they don't get in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you feel sorry for Mo. State if they don't get in?

I've been wrestling with this in my mind and wanted to come on here to see what some Missouri Valley fans think.

Obviously, I want Missouri State to get in as they have a good team, their coach seems to be a nice guy, and they seem to be so close every year, whether making the Tourney Finals or fighting for an at-large.

But I must say, I personally will have a hard-time feeling sorry for them if they don't get in.

Why?

It seems like every single time they have an opportunity to solidify themselves as a "lock," they lay an egg.

Case in point:
    1) Last year in St. Louis, playing a UNI team that they were pretty much even with, they got beat by 20. UNI played awesome and was well-prepared, but when you are trying to solidify yourselves, you can't have a no-show on a neutral court.
    2) Not guarding anybody in the second half against Winthrop this year on National TV.
    3) Choking at the free throw line in a winnable game at home against conference champ SIU in a game that would have solidified their status.
    4) Letting Nate Funk go for 33 and losing by 17 against Creighton on Saturday.

It just seems like every time they have an opportunity to lock themselves in, they don't just lose, they lose by double-digits.

I hope like heck they get in, but I can't feel too sorry for them if they don't. What do you guys think?

I will feel sorry for them. EVERY team in America loses games that they shouldn't, misses free throws and has a guy go off against them. Why should Missouri State get penalized because they have the same things happen to them that all other teams experience? They're 22-10, the 3rd best team in the 5th best conference in the country...if they can't get in this season with a win over Wisconsin...let's re-name the tournament to the "BCS Invite" and call it a day.

By the way...MSU's RPI went up 2 spots to 36 overnight...not sure how...but it did.
    "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

True, they have a history of blowing every opportunity to get into the NCAAs since Hinson has been there, but they deserve to finally break through. Especially given the screw job from last year. Plus they deserve to have one more win thanks to the timing error in their loss at SLU. The officials even conceded that they made an error in that game.

Comment

Positives of MoSt. being snubbed again: More crazy Barry Hinson quotes + video of him and his team crying after the selection show.

Negatives: Barry gets canned...no more funny quotes next year.

Comment

I won't feel sorry for them one bit. Sorry, but you need to win the games to get in. 2317, you are pretty stuck on their win over Wisconsin -- it was a neutral court win 4 months ago. Just because we beat #6 RPI SIU doesn't mean that we should automatically get into the dance. NC State beat UNC, do they get to dance on that alone? Washington beat UCLA, do they get to the dance on that alone?? (I could go on, and on, and on.) Yes, it is a great win for MSU, but the comittee looks at the entire body of work. IMO they were a much more impressive team last year and got left out, so I dont see why it will be much different if the same thing happens this year. Non-con RPI last year was 5, this year its 41. The body of work is less impressive than before.

Now, my gut tells me they will be getting in. But, again, to answer the question, I won't feel sorry if they don't. Last year was a disgrace, IMO, this year would simply be, "sorry, you didnt do enough".

To correlate this year with last year would be wrong. Especially if we find out that they were "let" in because the comittee "felt bad" about last years' situation. Sorry but last year has absolutely nothing to do with this year. At least it better not. That wouldn't give me too much hope for the current system at all.
          Last edited by UNI MadCat; 03-07-2007, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I will feel sorry for them, but my stronger feeling would be one of anger towards the NCAA if the MVC only gets two teams in. There should be 4 teams from the Valley in the NCAA. It is as good a conference as any in the land and yet everyone on the national media scene is looking for reasons to leave Valley teams out and ignoring the same facts about BCS teams while looking for reasons to put them in.
            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

My feelings exactly Gonzo...
              #MACtion

Comment

I will root for them if they get in, but if they don't I've got better things to worry about!

Comment

Madcat, last year MSU had a 21 RPI and they told them that they didn't have a "marquee" win. So this year, they went out and got one...they beat a team that is currently in the top 5...no matter where or when it happened...it happened and you can't take that away from them. Where you're missing the point...is that MSU had 21 OTHER wins to go along with their win over Wisconsin. UNI only has 17 other wins other than their win over SIU. A team shouldn't get it in because of one win...but when their body of work contains a 'marquee' win, then it should be taken into consideration.

Just like last year when UNI beat LSU on their floor...Panther fans were saying, "we beat LSU". This year MSU fans are talking about their win over Wisconsin. What's wrong with that? Now Valley teams shouldn't be proud of their non-conference wins? They shouldn't hang their hat on those wins? I don't get what you're trying to say? Is the win not impressive? Are you saying that Wisconsin isn't as good as their ranking? They played the game head-2-head and MSU won. I'm sure everytime they talk about MSU, they will say, "Good wins...Wisconsin".
                  "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

What would really be a crime is if Drexel doesn't get in.

Comment

They should be in, I really think they should. If WSU hadn't been so hot early, MSU would've been the early "story" of the MVC/non-bcs world, in which case their only concern would be seeding.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
                        Just because we beat #6 RPI SIU doesn't mean that we should automatically get into the dance.
                        If we had won 22 games like mo state has then you better believe we should get in.

Comment

Originally posted by williebat View Post
                          If we had won 22 games like mo state has then you better believe we should get in.
                          We probably WOULD, actually. We'd be a LOCK with 22 wins.

Why? Because we're a name people are used to seeing on the board. There will be people who couldn't find us on a map, wondering where we are when they're filling out their brackets. Familiarity breeds respect.

Being the team that's always 66th? That breeds something else.

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317 View Post
                            Madcat, last year MSU had a 21 RPI and they told them that they didn't have a "marquee" win. So this year, they went out and got one...they beat a team that is currently in the top 5...no matter where or when it happened...it happened and you can't take that away from them. Where you're missing the point...is that MSU had 21 OTHER wins to go along with their win over Wisconsin. UNI only has 17 other wins other than their win over SIU. A team shouldn't get it in because of one win...but when their body of work contains a 'marquee' win, then it should be taken into consideration.

Just like last year when UNI beat LSU on their floor...Panther fans were saying, "we beat LSU". This year MSU fans are talking about their win over Wisconsin. What's wrong with that? Now Valley teams shouldn't be proud of their non-conference wins? They shouldn't hang their hat on those wins? I don't get what you're trying to say? Is the win not impressive? Are you saying that Wisconsin isn't as good as their ranking? They played the game head-2-head and MSU won. I'm sure everytime they talk about MSU, they will say, "Good wins...Wisconsin".
                            2317 -- Who is "taking the win away from them"?? Look, we understand your lovefest with them, being a (former?) MSU employee. I get it. But while you point out what I "missed" you also fail to point out that the difference between an RPI of 21 and an RPI of 38 is a PRETTY BIG difference. If they had an RPI of 21 AND beat Wisconsin then yes, they would be a 100%, no doubt about it, lock them into a 7 seed or higher LOCK for the tourney. But they aren't. Their RPI is 38 -- again, that is a LOT different!!! Why is this so difficult??

They should hang their hat on the UW win and they are (and if they weren't, I'm sure you'd carry the torch as you remind us about it constantly). Yes they were told to "go out and get a marquee win" and they did that. But they also did things they didnt do last year like -- lose 10 games (8 last year), lost more at home (4 times compared to 2), lost to a team outside of the top 100 (last year none) and again, finishing with an RPI ~15 spots higher.

And really, we shouldn't be comparing this year to last year. They really aren't the same. Missouri State in 2006 is Missouri State in 2006 and MSU in 2007 is MSU in 2007. There should be no comparisons. I hate it. I think its ridiculous. I don't think they should be getting more or less attention for what they've done based on last year's travesty. It shouldn't be any different than any other Valley school that finishes around the 38 RPI-mark. They are on the bubble, regardless of what the name on the jersey says and what happened previously.

I supplied my answer to the question and my reasoning. I don't have any personal affection for MSU. I just don't. Simple as that. I think it allows me to A) care a lot less and B) look a little bit more objectively and realize that if they don't make the tournament its not because the comittee has a personal vendetta against them but because they simply didn't have the resume. Again, my gut tells me they will get in. All I'm saying is that I won't be surprised if they don't and, in the end, I dont think it has one bit to do with the fact that they are MSU. If they don't make the tourney and I hear one person say, "what more was MSU supposed to do" I'll . What more should they have done? Try winning at Evansville (something even WE did). Try winning at home vs. Winthrop. Try beating UNI at home. It's not that tough. I don't know what more you want me to say and, probably, I've said too much already.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
                              We probably WOULD, actually. We'd be a LOCK with 22 wins..
                              you know we were really pretty close to 22 wins (I am being serious). I mean we win that one at SIU and this whole season is different. We scored hundreds of points this year but really the whole season comes down to those 2 points.

I digress, hard to feel sorry for mo state since they gave alford his start.

but really they should get in they earned it with 22 wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X