WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
    Season really didn't matter after the first third of the Valley season. It was obvious WSU and ISU were twice as good as the rest of the Valley. No point in talking about UNI basketball at that point. They won a bunch of games against horrible teams. UNI tied for last after WSU and ISU, the conference standing show that without a doubt.

Nobody beat WSU or ISU besides each other, the rest of the valley was garbage this year.

Now we are on to next year, which is an intesting topic, to some degree.

Why is the Valley so awful is my question?
    9 of the top 10 players in the league graduated and Paul Lusk is bad that he squandered what on paper is a tournament team.
    #MACtion

Comment

Season really didn't matter after the first third of the Valley season. It was obvious WSU and ISU were twice as good as the rest of the Valley. No point in talking about UNI basketball at that point. They won a bunch of games against horrible teams. UNI tied for last after WSU and ISU, the conference standing show that without a doubt.

Nobody beat WSU or ISU besides each other, the rest of the valley was garbage this year.

Now we are on to next year, which is an intesting topic, to some degree.

Why is the Valley so awful is my question?
      Did you have an anuerysm before you typed that?
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I though McDermott played division ii. Summit league or whatever that is up there isn't much better and it is nothing to get excited about. It is another guy that can't create, isn't big enough to bang, and his value will be based on chucking bombs.
        You mean like...Say...Landry Shamet?

Stop talking...You're clueless.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
          You mean like...Say...Landry Shamet?

Stop talking...You're clueless.
          Pinning your hopes to McDermott and lohaus is clueless imo.

Time will tell. Jake is good but he isn't going to make chicken salad out of what he has got coming back. Scoring baskets is like pulling teeth with the guys he recruited. They don't have the ability to get a good shot.

One guy you named, is he coming?

Comment

Hate to say it, but R&B isn't wrong with his analysis. There is a potential that UNI plays 3 guards who are 6'1" or shorter at the same time next year. Rebounding was an issue this year with more size and athleticism than what is on the roster for next year. Trying to run the offense through Bennett this year has been an absolute disaster. He can't handle a double team and he still travels on 75% of his post moves. He struggles to read the defense and make a move before the double comes and he can't turn and finish with his left hand.

I hope McDermott is a good player, but it is really discouraging to be pinning our hopes on him for next year. I'm very high on McCloud and think Brown could become a nice player, but the recruiting has been subpar based on the success and notoriety that the program has had in the last 5 years.

Comment

We really need to land Pickford, I know he has had some injury issues but I think that is the reason why he isn't getting power 5 looks

Comment

long story short for me, I've got low expectations. Low expectations have been good to me in the past however. I could really see confidence and a bit more experience really making a difference for the young guys

I feel like Brown, McCloud, Haldeman, McDonnell, and Dahl all have great potential, so its on the coaches now (in my opinion) to prove they can bring it out of them

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  Austin Phyfe measured at 6-8 3/4 in socks at Iowa Football camp two years ago and he noticeably taller than his dad as I see them together at nearly every home game this year. His body is ready.

Hey r&b did you have a month long internet outage when we were winning? I mean I missed your insight during that time...

r&b posts about a lot, but I don't think has responded to this.

Comment

I hope you are correct about Phyfe. I haven't seen him, it was an opposing coach.

Not sure Iowa football is as accurate as the NFL combine or a priest but I hope he is ready because they need him.

Comment

I think the thing that hurt us the most this year was a lack of anyone being able to consistently Knock down open 3's. That seems to be Mc Dermott's specialty. His stats at UND 56-137 from 3pt .409 as a freshman. If he steps up and we actually have a threat out there it should help decrease the constant double teams on Koch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike88 View Post
                        I think the thing that hurt us the most this year was a lack of anyone being able to consistently Knock down open 3's. That seems to be Mc Dermott's specialty. His stats at UND 56-137 from 3pt .409 as a freshman. If he steps up and we actually have a threat out there it should help decrease the constant double teams on Koch.
                        Ehh, maybe. What you describe certainly doesn't hurt, but guys who can create off the dribble, and shoot 3s, are more valuable than a true 5 in today's game. Nothing against Koch either. McDermott is also stepping up in competition, where open 3s wil be harder to come by.

Next year's team has some piece parts, so all hope is not lost. I just hope it doesn't take half a season for things to mesh. Prominent non conference wins are really important.

Comment

The reason for hope for next year is that we have a lot of young guys, and young guys typically develop. It is Jake's specialty and why we don't bring in many Jucos.

McCloud, Haldeman, McDonnell, Dahl and Brown were all freshman this season (McDermott essentially is too). It isn't unreasonable to expect to see improvement, perhaps even significant improvement, in most of them.

Throw in Koch, Lohaus and Carlson (who we know is also capable of more than what we got from him this year), and potentially a new unknown entity (remember we have an open scholarship still), and we may be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                            The reason for hope for next year is that we have a lot of young guys, and young guys typically develop. It is Jake's specialty and why we don't bring in many Jucos.

McCloud, Haldeman, McDonnell, Dahl and Brown were all freshman this season (McDermott essentially is too). It isn't unreasonable to expect to see improvement, perhaps even significant improvement, in most of them.

Throw in Koch, Lohaus and Carlson (who we know is also capable of more than what we got from him this year), and potentially a new unknown entity (remember we have an open scholarship still), and we may be OK.
                            Yep, a transfer is key. But, it needs to be the right kind of player. In other words, not a guard who's only threat is stationary 3s.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                              Yep, a transfer is key. But, it needs to be the right kind of player. In other words, not a guard who's only threat is stationary 3s.
                              Offensively, it'd be great to get someone who can slash, create a shot, get to the rim. But McCloud can do that pretty well too, just needs to finish once he's there.

I'm more worried about getting someone who can be a lock down defender. We lose by far our 2 best defenders this season. And this year showed how hard it is for us to win if we play poor defense. We need a go-to guy on D, that can lock up the best opposing player. I'm not sure we have that guy on our roster right now.

Comment

Don't underestimate how big getting Wyatt back is. He's able to get his own shot in the mid-range and does a pretty good job of getting to the rim when he wants to. He's also a very good defender in our system and just seems to always make the right choice and be in the right spot. He was really, really good down the stretch last year, especially in the two games against Wichita.

Losing Wyatt hurt this team a ton. If you can take 25-30 minutes every night from Spencer, Juwan and Jordan and give them to Wyatt, we're much, much better. It made those other guys take on bigger roles than expected/planned for.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X