WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offer Mr. Green! Class of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Offer Mr. Green! Class of 2018

It's funny seeing people talk like our coaching staff doesn't have an idea of what AJ is thinking.
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
      It's funny seeing people talk like our coaching staff doesn't have an idea of what AJ is thinking.
      I guess I missed that part. I was only talking about my own thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
        I guess I missed that part. I was only talking about my own thoughts.
        I don't believe I ever named any names.
        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
          He was offered after his sophomore year. It hasn't even been a year yet. They won't pull a scholly offer on arguably the highest ranked recruit to come to UNI, when his father is on staff. There are some guys you move on from after a period of not committing, but this is a unique situation. Not when it's as great (as a person, student, and athlete) of a local kid as AJ, AND who's father is an assistant. UNI gave Bohannon more than a year with an offer (and in large respect I assume due to his family's connection to the program), but in general they seem to be willing to move on after a year of courtship/offer.

If AJ continues to rise his stock, and he chooses to come to UNI, he's the type of player that attracts other better players. Most recruiting services plateau the star/number rank of kids after they stop getting offers from P5 schools, unless they commit to those P5 schools. This could benefit UNI if he does choose to stay in CF.
          We may have only formerly offered less than a year ago, but lets be honest he's been on the radar and had total access to the program since he was an 8 year old ball boy, except for the year or two the family spent in Wisconsin. His access now since we formally offered has probably been the least it's ever been due to some NCAA rules, that may be part of why we didn't offer earlier.

He can't attract other better players unless he commits before they do unless you are talking about later year players. I just don't see him as that big time of a player I guess. I think he's a very nice player that we would be lucky to get, but no better than at least a half dozen recruits in the past 10 years. Since I see him that way I also won't be on here slamming him as a freshman when he doesn't turn out to be the second coming of pistol Pete.

Has Creighton offered him yet? I think that would be sign he might not be coming to UNI. Otherwise I think a lot of people are getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. If he gets an offer from Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas then I'll change my tune.
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Gonzo-
            Thanks for not getting your panties in a bunch.
            Hadn't heard that saying in a while. I needed that levity!
            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
              Personally I think it's getting close to time UNI pulls his offer since we have been recruiting him for years and he's not willing to commit for whatever reason. We normally back off a recruit after a year and are only holding his open I would assume because of his dad. We need to recruit and offer others at his position and he needs to understand the way he is playing UNI is a two way street and he could be SOL if another recruit is willing to commit. He hasn't and won't get a better offer than UNI. I really have to wonder if his dad is the reason he is not willing to commit. Not every father/son dynamic is the same. Some young men don't want to work with (play for in this case) their fathers. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with either one, that's just the way it is.

I don't see him ending up anywhere else unless his dad gets a head coaching gig and he does want to play for him. He's not the caliber of player anyone is going to make that offer just to get him. And this is a down year for any of our coaches getting offers as well.

I don't see any reason to pull his offer. Let it play out. I'd still like to think that we have a chance. UNI is a good option for him. It probably doesn't hurt that a UNI football player just got chose to the Hall of Fame. That puts UNI in a very rare group this year.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                I don't see any reason to pull his offer. Let it play out. I'd still like to think that we have a chance. UNI is a good option for him. It probably doesn't hurt that a UNI football player just got chose to the Hall of Fame. That puts UNI in a very rare group this year.
                I was being a little bit harsh in that post in order to generate conversation, it sort of worked. I thinks my points are valid nonetheless. There's no need to pull his offer and there's no need to go hard after another recruit for that scholarship for at least a few more months. And if everything is part of an unspoken master strategy there is no need to do anything up until NLI day. Unless Creighton offers.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I was being a little bit harsh in that post in order to generate conversation, it sort of worked. I thinks my points are valid nonetheless. There's no need to pull his offer and there's no need to go hard after another recruit for that scholarship for at least a few more months. And if everything is part of an unspoken master strategy there is no need to do anything up until NLI day. Unless Creighton offers.
                  Any reason you are particularly worried about Creighton other than history and McDermott(s)? There are other big schools/conferences within the same radius of Cedar Falls. Some might be enamored by playing in the Big East, but to me, it's no better than the Big 10 or 12, and the long travel for every road game and conference tourney would be annoying to me personally as well as for any potential family and friends who might want to travel.

Comment

Looking at Verbal Commits, we have one offer on PGs for the classes of '17 and '18. AJ.
                    So for the 19/20 season, we'll have a senior PG in Juwan and a sorta PG in Spencer.

IF we're not getting AJ, then it would seem that we better recruit a PG from that '18 class.

Comment

We may have only formerly offered less than a year ago, but lets be honest he's been on the radar and had total access to the program since he was an 8 year old ball boy, except for the year or two the family spent in Wisconsin. His access now since we formally offered has probably been the least it's ever been due to some NCAA rules, that may be part of why we didn't offer earlier.

He can't attract other better players unless he commits before they do unless you are talking about later year players. I just don't see him as that big time of a player I guess. I think he's a very nice player that we would be lucky to get, but no better than at least a half dozen recruits in the past 10 years. Since I see him that way I also won't be on here slamming him as a freshman when he doesn't turn out to be the second coming of pistol Pete.

Has Creighton offered him yet? I think that would be sign he might not be coming to UNI. Otherwise I think a lot of people are getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. If he gets an offer from Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas then I'll change my tune.
                      How many times have you seen him play?
                      "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                        Any reason you are particularly worried about Creighton other than history and McDermott(s)? There are other big schools/conferences within the same radius of Cedar Falls. Some might be enamored by playing in the Big East, but to me, it's no better than the Big 10 or 12, and the long travel for every road game and conference tourney would be annoying to me personally as well as for any potential family and friends who might want to travel.
                        My guess is that Gonzo is thinking that because of Coach Jake and Coach McDermott's close relationship, Jake would tell Mac that AJ isn't seriously considering UNI and he should offer AJ a scholarship. This thinking only works, however, if Creighton is looking for a player like AJ for that class. I have no idea if they would be or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
                          My guess is that Gonzo is thinking that because of Coach Jake and Coach McDermott's close relationship, Jake would tell Mac that AJ isn't seriously considering UNI and he should offer AJ a scholarship. This thinking only works, however, if Creighton is looking for a player like AJ for that class. I have no idea if they would be or not.
                          That's close to what I was thinking. Despite the way some folks on here feel about Mac, I don't believe he will try to recruit him out from under Jake and his dad. The only way I see him offering is if they, the Green family, approach him about it first. Could happen through Jake too I guess. That's why I would see a CU offer as a bad sign.
                          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

If Creighton offers, it will be out of respect for the Green's. He's not going to Creighton over UNI. He also would not go to Minnesota over UNI, Nebraska or even the clowns. Now, I would see Wisconsin. It would take a top shelf P5 offer. If not then Jake needs to examine his relationship w/ Green (the coach) as he's allowed him to leave & come back. That tells me they have a pretty strong relationship. My guess is that they want the kid to experience being recruited, but in the end, he'll come back home unless the huge offer comes. Then, I think even Jake will advise what is in his best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                              If Creighton offers, it will be out of respect for the Green's. He's not going to Creighton over UNI. He also would not go to Minnesota over UNI, Nebraska or even the clowns. Now, I would see Wisconsin. It would take a top shelf P5 offer. If not then Jake needs to examine his relationship w/ Green (the coach) as he's allowed him to leave & come back. That tells me they have a pretty strong relationship. My guess is that they want the kid to experience being recruited, but in the end, he'll come back home unless the huge offer comes. Then, I think even Jake will advise what is in his best interest.
                              Jake will advise what's in his best interest? You do realize Jake has a vested agenda in this, that may not coincide with the players'? If AJ is like most decent recruits, his interest involves playing at the best program he can, in the highest level conference. That doesn't necessarily align with Jake's self interest, but so be it. Ultimately, it's all about what the player feels would be his best move, with some help from his parents. Jake though, seems like the type that won't hold it against him if he chose Iowa State or above for basketball reasons, or Stanford for academics.

Comment

Most juniors in high school simply don't have a clue on what college they want to attend. My guess is he will decide this summer. I'm also hoping he decides that he wants to be an elementary teacher as well.

I agree with several others that I'm really only worried if a big time program comes knocking. Wisconsin has a 4 star guard in front of him already committed. I can't imagine they're going after him hard or even want him since that position is filled. They only have one other scholarship available. But, that can change quickly if someone leaves like Gasser a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X