WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jevon Lyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jevon Lyle

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
    The more I think about this, is there an 'out' here for UNI from a contract perspective regarding the scholarship? The kid beat up a teammate right before post-season play, don't want that in Cedar Falls.
    To be honest I'm a little dismayed to see some of you guys throwing this kid completely under the bus already. We don't know a damn thing about what led up to the incident and whether or not Lyle was the instigator. Nobody is saying anything, from the players involved to the principal himself.

Quit rushing to judgement so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post
      To be honest I'm a little dismayed to see some of you guys throwing this kid completely under the bus already. We don't know a damn thing about what led up to the incident and whether or not Lyle was the instigator. Nobody is saying anything, from the players involved to the principal himself.

Amen brother. I say give him a chance and see what happens. Maybe that Jackson kid is a jerk and lyle could not take it any more. Who knows??????

One thing I know is Lyle was smart enough to commit to a good college program! That shows character right there.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

If it was self defense then the other player would been suspended for the last game, not Lyle. IMO. If it wasn't self defense I would expect people who have a bright future in front of them to make better decisions. Could he grow up and become a better person from this, sure. But you are kidding yourself if you do not think it is a worrisome incident.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
          If it was self defense then the other player would been suspended for the last game, not Lyle. IMO. If it wasn't self defense I would expect people who have a bright future in front of them to make better decisions. Could he grow up and become a better person from this, sure. But you are kidding yourself if you do not think it is a worrisome incident.
          Now how do you know about who would get suspended. Maybe the coach or the other kids parents made sure he stayed on the team. Maybe lyle did not have as much clout!

I don't know and neither do you!

Comment

Originally posted by williebat View Post
            Now how do you know about who would get suspended. Maybe the coach or the other kids parents made sure he stayed on the team. Maybe lyle did not have as much clout!

No i do not know but I am allowed to have an opinion. I do not know of too many coached who would suspend the teams best player with there postseason life on the line if he did not deserve it. Do I hope that I am wrong, of course. This is just how I see it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by williebat View Post

I'm sure you are right...Jevon Lyle, a Division I recruit to a top program, has absolutely no 'clout'... This kid is Trouble, with a capital T. You don't physically assault a teammate and get kicked off a team without having displayed prior poor behavior.

Commonsense theory here: Everyone signed an internal 'gag order' to keep the kids out of jail...the truth to Lyle getting kicked off the team is probably worse than we are reading into things.

Comment

I read the article and am posting in the car while driving back from stl (I'm not driving ) so this is just a reaction following a tough finish to the season.

I don't really care which one of them started it the fact that these 2 guys were selfish enough to assault one another days before getting a shot to get to the state tournament shows a lot about their character. I know we've has some inseason stuff with players here and they've been allowed to staying the team.

I just hope he has learned his lesson and will be a good teammate here.

Comment

I'm sure you are right...Jevon Lyle, a Division I recruit to a top program, has absolutely no 'clout'... This kid is Trouble, with a capital T. You don't physically assault a teammate and get kicked off a team without having displayed prior poor behavior.

Commonsense theory here: Everyone signed an internal 'gag order' to keep the kids out of jail...the truth to Lyle getting kicked off the team is probably worse than we are reading into things.
                  Life must be so cut and dried simple and black and white for you up there on your high horse...

If you're really so concerned, maybe you can appoint yourself the team's arbiter of morality if and when Lyle gets to campus so that you cab rub off on him.

Comment

I don't pretend to know the whole story on Lyle, so I won't pass judgement either way.

But I know this. We need more of an edge on this team. We need more toughness. We need some attitude.

Not saying Lyle is the right guy or not. But if you fill the roster with 13 guys with the demeanor of Kerwin Dunham we'd have a hard time competing in the Valley.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Well, Jake tends to keep his players on a short leash anyway. I suspect Jevone will have a heart to heart with Jake & crew about this incident and his future at UNI.

It's not like killed a bus load of nuns. The kid already has had his consequence, so let's move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                        I don't pretend to know the whole story on Lyle, so I won't pass judgement either way.

But I know this. We need more of an edge on this team. We need more toughness. We need some attitude.

Not saying Lyle is the right guy or not. But if you fill the roster with 13 guys with the demeanor of Kerwin Dunham we'd have a hard time competing in the Valley.
                        Edge is fine. Frankly I wouldn't be nearly as upset if he punched a kid from an opposing team in a game. Punching a teammate before practice is unacceptable in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                          Well, Jake tends to keep his players on a short leash anyway. I suspect Jevone will have a heart to heart with Jake & crew about this incident and his future at UNI.

It's not like killed a bus load of nuns. The kid already has had his consequence, so let's move on.
                          Very true, and with that said, I suspect Jake will have an even shorter leash with Lyle, as he should. It seems like sportsmanship means an awful lot to Jake.
                          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I bet if our team were in need of a guard as badly as many feel we are in need of a center there would be less negativity towards Lyle on this. Just MY two cents on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
                              I bet if our team were in need of a guard as badly as many feel we are in need of a center there would be less negativity towards Lyle on this. Just MY two cents on this.
                              Good point. I agree with you on this. That said, you just can't physically assault teammates in my book and it doesn't hurt that we probably don't need him to start with.

edit: If Lyle ends up in Cedar Falls, he is going to have to win me over with good character off the court and the ability to play as a role player. If he keeps his nose clean and accepts his role on the squad, I will gladly admit I was wrong about him in a couple of years...
                              Last edited by panther1; 03-05-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Good point. I agree with you on this. That said, you just can't physically assault teammates in my book and it doesn't hurt that we probably don't need him to start with.
                                edit: If Lyle ends up in Cedar Falls, he is going to have to win me over with good character off the court and the ability to play as a role player. If he keeps his nose clean and accepts his role on the squad, I will gladly admit I was wrong about him in a couple of years...
                                Okay how do you know he assaulted him? How do you know this? They could of been in an intense practice and had some bad blood between the two and it got out of control. Just cause he gave the kid a black eye its assault? How do you know, maybe the other player attacked him and he swung in defense?? Maybe he didn't like the punishement he was dealt and left?

I have coached high school teams where in practice it has gotten pretty physical and I have had to step in between players who were ready to throw punches. HELL one time it was seriously over a girl (they were both wanting the same girl and it got out of control) Sounds like a save by the bell re-run but it happened. I had to kick them out of practice and sit them down later and talk about it.

It happens, these kids are young and very competitive. I am guessing there was something else and they got pissed at each other and it got out of control.

Personally I hope this kid is a fighter and is gonna bring some intensity to this team, god knows they lacked that. I think this kid will turn out great for UNI.

Comment

Working...
                                X