WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isle of Capri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isle of Capri

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
    Second, the whole thing was going to be put together by Michael Gartner. Then the idiot went and was the keynote speaker at the state Planned Parenthood convention. That pretty well killed him in the Key City, and the people weren't about to bankroll his next business venture.
    So the voters in Dubuque killed it due to Michael Gartner being a pro choice liberal? Hello Dubuque...he's always been that way. I think the guy's a tool but he's never pretended to be anything other than a very liberal idiot. I know there are a lot of Catholics in Dubuque...but isn't that taking things just a bit too far? Just my opinion of course, no skin in the game one way or the other

That's too bad Dubuque voted down minor league baseball. It's something I think the majority of Dubuquers would've benefitted from.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
      So the voters in Dubuque killed it due to Michael Gartner being a pro choice liberal? Hello Dubuque...he's always been that way. I think the guy's a tool but he's never pretended to be anything other than a very liberal idiot. I know there are a lot of Catholics in Dubuque...but isn't that taking things just a bit too far? Just my opinion of course, no skin in the game one way or the other

That's too bad Dubuque voted down minor league baseball. It's something I think the majority of Dubuquers would've benefitted from.
      There are a lot of Catholics at the Vatican. Dubuque is off the charts.

It's actually quite sad Dubuque doesn't have pro baseball anymore. No city in Iowa even approaches that city's history with the game.

Comment

One of them is a theater style bar with 800+ seats.
        what exactly is a theater style bar? I've never heard of that concept.
        But then, I don't go to many bars.

The large convention center (which is stunning all by itself) is a very short walk away, and you could walk in less than 10 minutes to the bars, restaurants and shops on lower main (they're talking about putting in a light rail or tram system to move people between the harbor and Lower Main in the future since a busy highway separates the two.)
        Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
        Like a genuine, Bona fide,
        Electrified, Six-car
        Monorail!

Comment

By "theater style" I mean this: When you come into the bar, there is a large, rectangular bar, with a few tables and some slot machines off to one side. Behind the bar, there are a few rows of booths and tables arranged in tiers facing a very large stage. Then there are two upper balconies (sort of like a smaller version of GBPAC) with more booths and tables arranged into what, from the stage, would look just like a theater.

Comment

I would have to agree with Newsy.

Just a couple days ago I myself visited the complex now known as the Dubuque Diamond Jo. It is very impressive for Dubuque, IMO. It adds several entertainment options to the port (despite the lack of baseball). Granted my opinion may be slanted as they paid me a good chunk of money when I left.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
              I would have to agree with Newsy.

Just a couple days ago I myself visited the complex now known as the Dubuque Diamond Jo. It is very impressive for Dubuque, IMO. It adds several entertainment options to the port (despite the lack of baseball). Granted my opinion may be slanted as they paid me a good chunk of money when I left.
              You bastage, it was probably my money you left with.

Comment

There are a lot of Catholics at the Vatican. Dubuque is off the charts.

It's actually quite sad Dubuque doesn't have pro baseball anymore. No city in Iowa even approaches that city's history with the game.

No city even approaches it? What about Waterloo? Waterloo had a professional baseball team for nearly a century. It's just as sad Waterloo doesn't have pro baseball anymore. I'm sorry, the Bucks just aren't the same...

Comment

Originally posted by PantherObserver View Post

No city even approaches it? What about Waterloo? Waterloo had a professional baseball team for nearly a century. It's just as sad Waterloo doesn't have pro baseball anymore. I'm sorry, the Bucks just aren't the same...
                  I think you don't know much about the history of baseball in Dubuque.

Comment

I think you don't know much about the history of baseball in Dubuque.

Newsy, I gotta tell ya. I love ya. Your one of my favorite posters on the board...but please tell me how the history of baseball in Dubuque far surpasses the 100 year history of pro baseball in Waterloo? There was even a book written about Waterloo and it's baseball history after the Diamonds moved. Maybe there's something huge in Dubuque's past that far surpasses that long history in Waterloo, and if so I'd love to hear about it.

All I'm saying is I thought the statement of no city in Iowa coming close to the baseball history there was a little overblown, considering the history right here in the Cedar Valley. Also, on a somewhat related note, does anyone remember some story a couple years ago about UNI thinking of building a baseball facitility in Cedar Falls for the Panthers, and also then trying to lure a Single A team to the area again?

Comment

Newsy, I gotta tell ya. I love ya. Your one of my favorite posters on the board...but please tell me how the history of baseball in Dubuque far surpasses the 100 year history of pro baseball in Waterloo? There was even a book written about Waterloo and it's baseball history after the Diamonds moved. Maybe there's something huge in Dubuque's past that far surpasses that long history in Waterloo, and if so I'd love to hear about it.

All I'm saying is I thought the statement of no city in Iowa coming close to the baseball history there was a little overblown, considering the history right here in the Cedar Valley. Also, on a somewhat related note, does anyone remember some story a couple years ago about UNI thinking of building a baseball facitility in Cedar Falls for the Panthers, and also then trying to lure a Single A team to the area again?
                      Yeah, Eddie Diaz was involved and it went no where. If I came in to a lot of money, a new baseball stadium might be on my agenda. Haha. Wish we had A Ball back in town, and I hate watching UNI play in a dump.
                      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

I can write a book about anything and there will be a book written about it.

Dubuque has a storied baseball history, and at a time was one of the great baseball towns in America.

The best story goes something like this: A great number of years ago, Dubuque had a "professional" team. This was in the day of many professional baseball associations, not all of which were on the level of the "major" leagues. This team played on an old grounds on the now north end of town. Their first significant claim to fame was beating the then American Association champion (a team with a .688 winning percentage) Cincinnati Red Stockings in a cross-league showdown. There are publications from the time claiming Dubuque as "World Champions." One of the players on this team was a man by the name of Charles Comiskey.

That team was soon moved to St. Louis, where it became the St. Louis Brown Stockings, becoming the dominant American Association team.

The place where the team formerly played - now named Comiskey Park.

If you read the history books, you'll find that a Sioux City team was purchased by Comiskey and moved to St. Paul, later moving and becoming the Chicago White Sox. What you won't read is that when he moved the team to St. Paul, the "team" moved but most of the players were left behind - it was the Dubuque team he raided to start his new club up north.

From those days of the 1880's up until not that many years ago, Dubuque had a continuous professional baseball presence. For many years, the team was run by a gentleman named John Petrakis. He would be named the minor league executive of the year a number of times, eventually being enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

We all know Dubuque has been immortalized in film, but also in song:

Talkin' Baseball

In 1981 Terry Cashman recorded what is more commonly referred to as Talkin' Baseball, which was originally called Willie, Mickey And The Duke. It became — and still is — a very popular pop song that pays tribute to players from the fifties and a variety of variations were released during the following seasons.

We're talkin' baseball!
                        Kluszewski, Campanella.
                        Talkin' baseball!
                        The Man and Bobby Feller.
                        The Scooter, the Barber, and the Newc,
                        They knew 'em all from Boston to Dubuque.
                        Especially Willie, Mickey, and the Duke.
                        To this day, despite the lack of professional presence, the game lives strong in Dubuque unlike most anyplace else. Teams that can't field a grocery store still field "semi-pro" teams all throughout Dubuque County, participating in both leagues and summer-long tournaments. It's almost impossible to convey to someone how hasn't spent time there, but baseball in Dubuque is much more than "We had a minor league team, and some players that ended up being quite good were on it from time-to-time." It's really a culture in places like Dyersville, Richardsville, New Vienna, Balltown, Bernard, Zwingle, Cascade and Dubuque itself. (I can't find a picture of the field built for the "Peosta Cubs", a semi-pro team in a tiny town. Clarke College rents it for their home game (despite being 20 miles from campus. Box seats, concessions, absolutely first-rate playing surface...all for a team of farmers and part-time players.)

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Earl
                          I didn't know Dubuque had been immortalized in film. Are you claiming Field of Dreams or that Take this job and shove it movie or something else?
                          The city itself has been featured in three major films. You named two, the Sly Stalone 1978 film "F.I.S.T." was also filmed in the Key City.

Field of Dreams is the baseball one, however.

Comment

I thought field of dreams was in Dyersville?
                            "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                              I thought field of dreams was in Dyersville?
                              The baseball field/farm is near Dyersville.
                              The PTA meeting was filmed in Farley, I believe.
                              There may have been some filming in Dubuque, but I can't recall what it would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                                The baseball field/farm is near Dyersville.
                                The PTA meeting was filmed in Farley, I believe.
                                There may have been some filming in Dubuque, but I can't recall what it would have been.
                                Good lord.

Boston was all Dubuque, as were portions of Chisholm, MN. All of the off-farm scenes were in Dubuque. The library is the UD library. The highway scenes were all filmed on US 20 and Highway 151, as well as state highway 3. The PTA meeting was shot in Farley, but you'll note they took the conference high school signs from Wahlert and placed them on the gym wall (hence, you'll see "Wahlert" in large gold letters, but Senior, Jefferson, etc, are all visible - you'll also notice the Waterloo schools and CF are not included, as the movie was filmed before the MVC expansion.)

With the exception of the short segment at Fenway Park, everything was shot within 20 minutes of downtown Dubuque.

I can't decide if the you guys are intentionally being dense, or if we've somehow found the only two people from Iowa who didn't know the entire movie was filmed and featured Dubuque and Dubuque County.

Comment

Working...
                                X