WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2016 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2016 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Pemsl committed to iowa today

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
      I am not at all surprised by this, he looked like a nice player. Best of luck to him!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
        No surprise there. Students from Dubuque and generally split pretty evenly between UI and UNI with a few to ISU. Athletes from Dubuque go to Iowa City with an occasional commitment to UNI or ISU. That is why McDonnell was a surprise to some.

Name the last football player from Dubuque who choose to become a Panther over a walk-on offer at Iowa.

Comment

To be fair there haven't been a ton of D1 football players from Dubuque.

Comment

Committing to Iowa does guarantee him Mr Basketball in a couple of years.

See: Jok, Peter
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

This. Depending on where Bohannon goes and the offers he collects.

Comment

Hoiberg thinks they discontinued high school basketball in Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Great line!

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                    Hoiberg thinks they discontinued high school basketball in Iowa.
                    Fran forgot they play basketball out of the state of Iowa.

Comment

Wasn't it 9YRPLAN that told us here that Fran had so much respect for Jake that he wouldn't offer a scholarship to a player Jake had already offered?

According to an article Pat Harty of the IC Press Citizen wrote for the DM Register this week, Pemsl had offers from UNI and Creighton and was being recruited by Wichita, before Fran invited him for a visit Thursday and offered.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                        Fran forgot they play basketball out of the state of Iowa.
                        Correct, but guess which one has a far better system in place to attract higher level talent. Answer: Fred. Why? Because Iowa high school basketball isn't exactly overflowing with BCS level ballplayers. Recruiting and talent wins in college sports. Fred's system fits perfectly with the type of upper level (not elite) out of state ballplayers coming to his program. I'm not a fan of ISU, but give credit where credit is due. Basketball is a sport about making plays, not running plays. Fred gets that.

Also, no offense to Dubuque, but I don't remember a whole bunch of D1 signees coming from that town. By "whole bunch", I mean some EVERY year in football AND basketball. Not one every few years in one or the other. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that Senior team that everyone thought was loaded...isn't the player who committed to us the only D1 kid on that team? I very easily could be missing someone, but if all of those guys signed with DII schools, that isn't exactly "loaded". Also, no offense to DII basketball, I'm just comparing Dubuque and Iowa against the upper end towns and states for production of talent.

Comment

The state of Iowa always has and always will produce and number of quality high school basketball players every year that are capable of playing D1. In all honesty this has be a pretty lean year. However, the state just do to sheer numbers can't produce the number of D1 athletes that other states like Illinois are able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                            Wasn't it 9YRPLAN that told us here that Fran had so much respect for Jake that he wouldn't offer a scholarship to a player Jake had already offered?

According to an article Pat Harty of the IC Press Citizen wrote for the DM Register this week, Pemsl had offers from UNI and Creighton and was being recruited by Wichita, before Fran invited him for a visit Thursday and offered.
                            That would be a pretty silly coaching philosophy to follow. Let's please not turn this into a "hey yeah, Fran's such an @$$hole" discussion. We already know the answer to that question but this has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                              The state of Iowa always has and always will produce and number of quality high school basketball players every year that are capable of playing D1. In all honesty this has be a pretty lean year. However, the state just do to sheer numbers can't produce the number of D1 athletes that other states like Illinois are able to.
                              To your last point, correct, it's apples and oranges. But, I'm also not willing to give semi-equal status to Joe's Computer Shop in Cedar Rapids when comparing them to IBM. Numbers are numbers, and unarguable.

To your first point, if a number of guys were capable of playing D1 basketball, then why don't they sign? Not just a few, but a "number" as you put it. Recruiting in basketball if a FAR more exact science than it is in football. In football, you can have Kurt Warners, Bryce Paups, and Jim Kliensassers (a nod to Lakes) slip through the cracks of higher level teams' recruiting. In basketball that happens so rarely that it's the true definition of one-off. I don't mean to be too harsh on Iowa HS basketball, just trying to point out some facts as a basis of comparison between Iowa and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

No, I believe Fran wasn't going to offer somebody that has already committed to UNI, which makes more sense. Otherwise, let's just offer everyone that Fran offers so nobody can come to iowa.

I think the example was about Lohaus. Had he not been committed to UNI, I really think he would have offered him with the recruiting luck that Fran has had.

Comment

Working...
                                X