WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
    They are not all JC guys some are high schoolers, they are often times players who didn't play much AAU ball. As recruiting services love AAU tournaments because they can evaluate many players at once. Also I am sure I have said it before but you are seeing the Ali Farokmanesh effect with this class.
    Ahh.. the good ol' AFE.
    Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

They are not all JC guys some are high schoolers, they are often times players who didn't play much AAU ball. As recruiting services love AAU tournaments because they can evaluate many players at once. Also I am sure I have said it before but you are seeing the Ali Farokmanesh effect with this class.
      Correct, I didn't mean to make it definitive and insinuate that they are all JUCO guys. Should have proof read.

Comment

Oh I didn't take it that way, I just wanted to clarify on how many kids are evaluated.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...460/class/2008

Great example of how they evaluate, completely wrong here.

Comment

Exactly. It's a lot of speculation.

Comment

To be fair, Wrong is probably not the best word. Incomplete would be better because a "40" means they have not been evaluated. A 78 for Pehl basically means they do not think is a a high mid major type recruit. Which judging by his results so far is pretty accurate.

I also found it interesting for last years class that Martino was ranked the same as Rank and his position rank was higher. Also Buss was ranked higher than Rank and they were both listed as PF's. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can not wait for basketball season.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                To be fair, Wrong is probably not the best word. Incomplete would be better because a "40" means they have not been evaluated. A 78 for Pehl basically means they do not think is a a high mid major type recruit. Which judging by his results so far is pretty accurate.

I also found it interesting for last years class that Martino was ranked the same as Rank and his position rank was higher. Also Buss was ranked higher than Rank and they were both listed as PF's. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can not wait for basketball season.
                I really think that Buss was considered a PF in High School because in a Iowa 3A school it is hard for a 6'8" kid not to be a post, there aren't that many 6'8" kids. But I think since he was got here he plays more out side, but I think he can still go down low.

Comment

While the ranking difference between a player at 70 vs 75 may be negligible, one thing you can say is that the scouts do see enough players to get a general idea of an athletic skill set pecking order. A 90 vs 70 is a real difference. That is not the end all be all, but one key point.

The good news is the overall trend of our recruits has improved. Going from mostly overlooked players (40 rankings) that were capable of being coached up to players with a higher/better starting point only brings hope for the future. The players that are coming in last year and this year look (on paper) to be more well rounded players than we have historically attracted. Hopefully the coaching staff can raise their level of play in a similar manner.

Comment

I really think that Buss was considered a PF in High School because in a Iowa 3A school it is hard for a 6'8" kid not to be a post, there aren't that many 6'8" kids. But I think since he was got here he plays more out side, but I think he can still go down low.
                    Good point, but if he is really his listed height, how many 6'8'' players in the Valley have mainly played positions other that the 4 or 5. Not saying he will not but over time I would expect him to play more at 4. But that is just a guess.

Comment

He always warmed up with the wings this year. Looks to have a decent shot, and with his height should be able to get it off.

How many 6'8" or taller players have played wing in the Valley, I will give you one Larry Bird!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                        While the ranking difference between a player at 70 vs 75 may be negligible, one thing you can say is that the scouts do see enough players to get a general idea of an athletic skill set pecking order. A 90 vs 70 is a real difference. That is not the end all be all, but one key point.
                        Good point. But I think ESPN puts a lot of weight on # of stars and who is looking at who (this is going more off of what I see in their football ratings than basketball ratings, so definitely not a spot on observation...plus it's me). You'll see some guys ratings rocket if Kansas is taking a look and sometimes will lose points when they sign with a "lower" team. I'm not saying that their ratings hold 0 value and meaning, most of these guys are getting evaluated by people who know what they're talking about and make a living doing this, but I wouldn't read too much into my first post, especially with those 40 guys skewing those average ratings.

Comment

I know it'd be a little bit of work, but I think it'd be cool to hyperlink our recruits to the thread about them committing. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
                            I know it'd be a little bit of work, but I think it'd be cool to hyperlink our recruits to the thread about them committing. Just a thought.
                            Why? We just hand out scholarships to whoever walks off the street or legacies anyways. I hear we have an early offer out to Kwadzo's kid for the class of 2025.

Comment

...fml

Comment

Did we get any commits for 2012-13? Being out of the area makes it harder to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X