WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB gets its own NIT again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB gets its own NIT again

Starting next season, the National Invitational Volleyball Championship (NIVC). Produced by Triple Crown Sports, which also operates the WNIT, it will be a 64-team tournament for programs that do not reach the NCAA Championship in a similar fashion to the WNIT.

DETAILS: Tournament website & Twitter thread of details

As good as the Valley has been, several teams each year would be getting postseason experience. UNI has been able to get many recent at-large berths, but the NIVC would be a safety net of sorts to have another chance to keep playing.

We'll see how smoothly this runs. All matches are at host school sites, so it's scheduling on the fly depending on who wins and who can host. Still, it seems like a good opportunity for the programs themselves...

Re: VB gets its own NIT again

I wonder what the financial aspect of such a tournament will be.
    What kind of travel costs will teams have to shell out?
    how much will host teams have to fork over?

Most of the schools with decent attendance will likely already be in the NCAA tourney, and I could see other schools opting out because of expenses

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
      I wonder what the financial aspect of such a tournament will be.
      What kind of travel costs will teams have to shell out?
      how much will host teams have to fork over?

Most of the schools with decent attendance will likely already be in the NCAA tourney, and I could see other schools opting out because of expenses

Those are good questions. Didn't an FCS conference champ decline a playoff bid in football this year. Perhaps they will focus regionally and let the best teams have home games for the first and second rounds in order to lessen costs and make it profitable (or less unprofitable) for the better teams.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
        Those are good questions. Didn't an FCS conference champ decline a playoff bid in football this year.
        No. No team passed up an automatic bid

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
          No. No team passed up an automatic bid
          but there are 3 FCS conferences who elect not to send their conference champions to the playoffs.
          The Ivy League hasn't ever participated in the playoffs (and they only play 10-game seasons).
          The SWAC and MEAC have chosen to have their champions play each other in the "Celebration Bowl" (and they also have one or two other "Classic" games which occur during playoff weekends).

Not that any of those teams would really be competitive in the playoff field anyway.

Comment

That is pretty judgmental. I always have the philosophy "any given sunday". I believe that applies to all sports.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
              That is pretty judgmental. I always have the philosophy "any given sunday". I believe that applies to all sports.
              MEAC hasn't won a playoff game since 1999.
              The SWAC was 0-19 in the playoffs outside of the first two years of the playoffs before they pulled out of the playoffs in the mid-90s.

A MEAC team got an at-large bid this year since the champion went to the MEAC/SWAC bowl. That team was North Carolina A&T. They were ranked int he top 20 all year. They lost to Richmond in the first round 39-10. Richmond lost to EWU 38-0.

That's not judgmental, it's the truth.

Comment

but there are 3 FCS conferences who elect not to send their conference champions to the playoffs.
                The Ivy League hasn't ever participated in the playoffs (and they only play 10-game seasons).
                The SWAC and MEAC have chosen to have their champions play each other in the "Celebration Bowl" (and they also have one or two other "Classic" games which occur during playoff weekends).

Not that any of those teams would really be competitive in the playoff field anyway.
                That's not what the statement was. It was that a conference champion turned down a bid. That isn't true. The MEAC, Ivy and SWAC don't offer their champs the ability to take the auto-bid. Thus, no champion turned down their bid.

Comment

The IVY league champ would actually be competitive in the FCS playoffs, they often get higher level players who choose to get an education and play football. I wouldn't say they would be winning titles, but you could easily see them in the semifinals if the league allowed it. The SWAC and MEAC would not be, and get better exposure playing in "Classic" games on NBC and ABC.

Comment

This is a VB thread - are the last few replies talking about FB????

Comment

The WNIT and NIT are for the next 32 and a gaurantee for conference champions that don't win the post season conference tournament (our women last year). I would think having64 in the VNIT would result in a very much diluted field.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                        This is a VB thread - are the last few replies talking about FB????

Yes, it is a VB thread. I found myself getting sucked into the FB discussion (which started as a comparison of playoff systems), but then it pretty much derailed.

Do you think that there are that many teams that want to invest in the travel necessary to pull this off? It will probably necessitate the lowest ranked teams to do the most travel. And that seems like it might be a non-starter for some teams because there isn't big TV underwriting.

Comment

Working...
                        X