WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailgating Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this past Saturday was not the best indicator of what tailgating can be at UNI. It was just miserably hot and I know plenty who didn't go as early as they normally would have. Hopefully good fall weather will bless us the rest of the season!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Re: Tailgating Advice

The panther chic hit it right on. While we were still tailgating, we were hiding in the sahde of our tents most of the time. I don't think 3 games of corn hole were played. And we didn't spread out to meet the neighbors.

Comment

I gave up beer drinking and food eating to head into the cool shelter of the Dome (well cool compared to outside) about 1 1/2 hrs prior to kickoff. I was a little ashamed but DANG it was hot out! I think my shirt has a permanent sweat ring from being worn both in Ames and last Saturday for tailgating. Tide, Bleach and lava be d@mned, I doubt it ever washes out

Comment

Bumping this as I will be tailgating in Cedar Falls for the first time for your Homecoming game (wife is a UNI alum and former Panther heptathlete), but no one we're going with has ever tailgated there. Are there any special restrictions for tailgating, due to its popularity?

I take it lots open at noon? Also, is it common to see people with TVs and what not? I'll want to keep an eye my Clones that day (which I'm sure will lead to more than a few deserved jabs), but I'm not sure how much time people will want to spend partying in the bars vs. partying in the lots, and just trying to size up what our options are.

TIA.
          Last edited by Al_4_State; 09-30-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_4_State View Post
            Bumping this as I will be tailgating in Cedar Falls for the first time for your Homecoming game (wife is a UNI alum and former Panther heptathlete), but no one we're going with has ever tailgated there. Are there any special restrictions for tailgating, due to its popularity?

I take it lots open at noon? Also, is it common to see people with TVs and what not? I'll want to keep an eye my Clones that day (which I'm sure will lead to more than a few deserved jabs), but I'm not sure how much time people will want to spend partying in the bars vs. partying in the lots, and just trying to size up what our options are.

TIA.
            IMO, go as big as you want. I could give a flip if you bring a decked out rig or if you just bring a cooler. As long as there are people in the lots (which it will surely be for homecoming), it'll be a good time. Tailgating has restricted hours to 4 hours before the game.

Sadly, I've got to miss out this year due to a frickin' wedding.
            Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by casbern View Post
              IMO, go as big as you want. I could give a flip if you bring a decked out rig or if you just bring a cooler. As long as there are people in the lots (which it will surely be for homecoming), it'll be a good time. Tailgating has restricted hours to 4 hours before the game.

Sadly, I've got to miss out this year due to a frickin' wedding.
              I don't have a TV rig personally (some buddies down in Ames handle that), I was just wondering if other people do it. I figure with Iowa on a bye week, there might be some people interested in following the ISU game (we all keep tabs on Iowa and UNI games while tailgating in Ames), and since I like to wander around and mingle with the locals, I figured if there were a few rigs with that set up, I might be able to casually keep an eye things.

I'm just a big fan of college football in general, and relish opportunities to tailgate at other schools and soak in their atmosphere. I'll be wearing purple and cheering for the Panthers. If you guys can take down NDSU, I anticipate an excellent atmosphere, especially when you throw in how wild UNI Homecoming can be anyways.

Comment

For Homecoming the student parking lots stay pretty full, so you will want to arrive early or you may be parking a long ways away. We show up around 10 am to get all the spots we need together. Probably don't need to be that early, but the earlier the better. Also, I've never been hassled about the 4 hour limit. And we won't be the first one's there. On homecoming, the student lot can get quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_4_State View Post

TIA.

Al,

I started this thread because I was tailgating for the first time at UNI for the Drake game. My summary is that UNI tailgating is pretty laid back compared to ISU tailgating. You don't have to worry about getting there so early in order to get a decent spot. And there is plenty of room for you to do whatever you want.

We got there about 3-4 hours before game time, used the lot south of McLeod, and were perfectly happy. We went all the way to the far south end and parked in a big spacious grass lot between the power plant and Hudson Dr. (with Panther Village across the street). Some may complain about it being "too far away," but it was closer than our usual spot in Ames near Hilton.

If anything, we would have liked to have been tighter with people so you get more interaction with people tailgating around you. The "best" tailgating, meaning where you find lots of hard core fans close together, is just across the street south of McLeod. However, I really liked having room to set up my games without worrying about bothering someone else.

Some people said to be careful about the bottle prohibition, but I didn't see a single enforcement officer.

Give me a PM if you want to interact more.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to adding another a college to the tailgating list.

I don't think we'll have too crazy of a spread. Probably just lawn chairs and coolers. My guess is we'll eat somewhere beforehand, like Pump House, and catch part of the ISU game before heading in and then just drink.

Comment

Then, you might just want to walk around and stop in places where they are friendly.

Comment

Good news about tailgate lots opening earlier this year.

Comment

I see some of the parking lots just south of McLeod have been cemented. I wonder if those areas will be PSC spots on Saturdays in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                            I see some of the parking lots just south of McLeod have been cemented. I wonder if those areas will be PSC spots on Saturdays in the near future?
                            Really? Nice.
                            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                              Really? Nice.
                              I can see the dike lot being one, but don't think so about the big C lot to the east of the dike lot. That one would need to stay open so students can come and go, I would think
                              Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X