WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Cydave makes a great point. You cannot always depend upon the product on the field to generate a good time. But if you are linking with friends, socializing, eating great food in a fun atmosphere then you are making great memories; despite the outcome of the game.

On a side note, why not charge a nominal fee? That could provide better access to porta potties.

Comment

The last thing we need to do is add other obstacles to keep people away.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        The last thing we need to do is add other obstacles to keep people away.
        Porta potties?

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters

Comment

Did the Dept. of Public Safety actually make the rule or are they simply the group charged with enforcing it?

I certainly understand them being consulted on the creation of certain rules on campus in regard to public safety and how to enforce, but it would seem odd to me that UNI administration/athletics would have DPS would be writing a campus events policy.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
            Did the Dept. of Public Safety actually make the rule or are they simply the group charged with enforcing it?

I certainly understand them being consulted on the creation of certain rules on campus in regard to public safety and how to enforce, but it would seem odd to me that UNI administration/athletics would have DPS would be writing a campus events policy.
            Really? .
            UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

I'm sure UNI public safety has some input, but this is no doubt the athletic departments call.
              Originally posted by TH1974
              This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Back in the day, before tailgating at UNI was really much of anything, someone from the athletic dept. was probably talking to someone from the DPS, and casually asked them what would probably be a good time to set for a tailgating limit.

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                  Really? .
                  Yeah, really.

Time to revisit the policy and who makes it.

Looks like it might be on the Athletics Dept. radar now. Couple this with the thread in the Football forum about improving the game day experience and there might be a great opportunity for UNI Football.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    I'm sure UNI public safety has some input, but this is no doubt the athletic departments call.
                    It seems to be exactly the opposite.
                    UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                      It seems to be exactly the opposite.
                      Maybe on paper, but let's be real, if Troy told DPS to change the policy it would be done tomorrow.

It's like asking who is in charge of BCS athletic departments. On the administrative flow chart it's the president and AD, but we all know the head football coach gets whatever he wants.
                      Originally posted by TH1974
                      This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        Maybe on paper, but let's be real, if Troy told DPS to change the policy it would be done tomorrow.
                        But if adding hours adds patrolling costs, it might not be that simple (given our $ situation).

Comment

Well you could never tell we have a money issue. Of Iowa, Iowa State and UNI UNI is the only one that can afford not to charge for parking. I paid $50 at Iowa and $40 at Iowa State to park an RV. At Iowa the lot opened Friday night at 7pm and you had to be out by Noon on Sunday. At Iowa State we could have been there Friday night and stayed till Sunday morning. Both places we got there early morning (6 am Iowa and 10 am ISU) and there were plenty of people who were already there and we had no problems either place with excessive drinking. I don't recall seeing campus police circling the lots either.

The South Lot of the Dome had many people there for the Drake game prior to Noon. I think they just need to start the Volleyball games at 2:00 and then we can start tailgating for the Volleyball games at 10 am.

Comment

Originally posted by Geno4UNI View Post
                            The South Lot of the Dome had many people there for the Drake game prior to Noon. I think they just need to start the Volleyball games at 2:00 and then we can start tailgating for the Volleyball games at 10 am.
                            wouldn't work. teams play on Friday nights at 7 p.m., then have to travel between cities (not sure if they overnight in the Friday city or the Saturday city). With UNI now being partnered with Drake, it's not a bad drive (2-3 hours), but still, teams aren't going to want to have that short of turnaround between matches, especially just for the sake of tailgaters who probably wouldn't even attend the volleyball match anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Geno4UNI View Post
                              Well you could never tell we have a money issue. Of Iowa, Iowa State and UNI UNI is the only one that can afford not to charge for parking. I paid $50 at Iowa and $40 at Iowa State to park an RV.
                              Sell tailgating passes, per vehicle? Seek a partnership with Hy Vee or Weber Grills or that company in Iowa Falls which makes the UNI grill logo to encourage the tailgating experience?

Comment

Thanks for the information but I was just being sarcastic. I know that there was a weekend late in the season either last year or the year before that there was a Basketball game before the Football game and Volleyball game after. That was a fun filled day.

Comment

Working...
                                X