WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI in the Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNI in the Register

I agree the article is crap but the question stands: In a world where most of the money is going to fewer and fewer schools, can UNI continue to survive at the D1 level. Things would be on a much more equal level if there was no Longhorn or Big 10 network. Now they can claim they are no longer suckling at the taxpayers teat anymore. But the perception is that UNI is still living off of taxpayer subsidies. Let's face facts. No matter how well UNI performs on and off the field we are still going to be 3rd in the hearts and minds of the media, the legislature and the citizens of Iowa.
    "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
      I agree the article is crap but the question stands: In a world where most of the money is going to fewer and fewer schools, can UNI continue to survive at the D1 level. Things would be on a much more equal level if there was no Longhorn or Big 10 network. Now they can claim they are no longer suckling at the taxpayers teat anymore. But the perception is that UNI is still living off of taxpayer subsidies. Let's face facts. No matter how well UNI performs on and off the field we are still going to be 3rd in the hearts and minds of the media, the legislature and the citizens of Iowa.
      I guess I'm not seeing why the question is suddenly at issue? Has UNI not showed since 2010 when the Regents looked hard at this issue that they can be successful? They were Top 10 in the country in hoops last year and went 9-5 in football.

Stipends for basketball will be an additional expense...but not a game changer by any means. There was really never any doubt about stipends for football...it's not going to be part of the FCS model. No news there.

I don't think anyone on this board holds any illusions about UNI's position in the pecking order in this state. Regardless, I will still expect fair-handed reporting from the local media...especially when UNI's teams are loaded with Iowa kids.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        I guess I'm not seeing why the question is suddenly at issue? Has UNI not showed since 2010 when the Regents looked hard at this issue that they can be successful? They were Top 10 in the country in hoops last year and went 9-5 in football.

Stipends for basketball will be an additional expense...but not a game changer by any means. There was really never any doubt about stipends for football...it's not going to be part of the FCS model. No news there.

I don't think anyone on this board holds any illusions about UNI's position in the pecking order in this state. Regardless, I will still expect fair-handed reporting from the local media...especially when UNI's teams are loaded with Iowa kids.
        I agree. I didn't read the article, but the headline made me think about the timing. Why dredge this back up now? Other than the usual cries of bias, does anyone here have a good answer to that?

Also, like it or not, the Big Ten Network exists because it's viable and profitable. I thought I remembered seeing some things about the Longhorn Network not living up to expectations, but I still think the Big 12 as we know it has a short shelf life.

Comment

Despite the author's attempt to rally the pitchforks and push his agenda, almost all the interviewees (including former regents board members) spoke highly of the funding allocation and understood comparing UNI's funding model to UofI or ISU is silly.

Just about every quote was filled with understanding and general agreement about the funding our athletic department receives. The only people aligning with the author's drivel are whiny unimportant faculty members who have zero authority in this matter and one former student. Thankfully the real decision makers appear to have a good grasp on the reality of UNI's situation.

"The fact that UNI doesn't have these resources available is not UNI's fault, but is rather the result of its not being in a major conference insofar as football is concerned," said Bob Downer, an Iowa City lawyer who served on the regents from 2003 until earlier this year.
          "Ben had a pretty balanced perspective on it," said David Miles, regents board president in 2010. "He certainly endorsed what we were attempting to do. He was trying to figure out the most reasonable way to do it, but he didn't want us to go too far, too fast."

Miles also pointed out that, compared with the other public schools in its conference, UNI provides among the lowest amount of subsidy to its athletic department.
          "Back when we were asking our universities to do this, to have two out of the three become self-funding and the third one make real progress, well that's just remarkable when you compare it to (what's happening in) the pantheon of universities that compete in Division I athletics," Miles said.
          Originally posted by TH1974
          This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

The fact that ISU and Iowa have hit the collegiate jackpot based simply on conference organization conducted over 100 years ago is the biggest irony in this whole debate.

The state is now freed of the financial burden required to prop up three D1 athletic departments, yet all of a sudden the one who doesn't get to cash $25MM lottery/network checks should magically figure out a way to carve-out 40% of its budget.
            Originally posted by TH1974
            This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Can't believe that we are having this much of a discussion on this small of a dollar amount in the three state schools' combined annual budget. Per Regent documents, in 2014 the budget between direct state support and tuition was +/- $1,261,532,844. $4M is 0.317% - $2.3M (loss without tuition payment to school for athletes at UNI) is 0.182% of combined budget.

Comment

Right. Plus, the total amounts spent on advertising / promoting the schools should be listed, because athletic spending belongs in that category somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I think you answered your own question. Now, all of a sudden, athletes can get stipends.
                  Even though UNI is in a lower subdivision and plays basketball and other sports in a non-BCS conference we're going after many of the same players they are. It stands to reason that if a player is deciding between Iowa and UNI, getting a few extra legal bucks could tip the scales in favor of Iowa. If we were just competing against Illinois State or Drake or Missouri State for recruits,it wouldn't be a big deal.

It's not a matter of being successful. It's a matter of getting state funds for athletics while the other state institutions are self-sufficient. People who don't look at this in depth will wonder why UNI can't be self-sufficient if Iowa and ISU can. Like Kyle said earlier, the state is - until the Big 12 leaves ISU - free from subsidizing two of the three state schools. While two is good, three would be better. I don't live in Iowa any more but I keep my ear to the ground and like most states Iowa has budget problems. One of these days, they may decide that UNI has to be self-sufficient like the other two schools. Then what happens? Do they eliminate football? Does Jake leave for greener pastures? Drop down to D2 or D3?

I agree with everyone in this thread. It wasn't necessarily well written and coming from the Press-Citizen, it smells of bias. We should expect unbiased reporting but that doesn't mean we'll get it. It's nice we have a lot more Iowa kids than Iowa or ISU but all that is is a nice story. Like Seinfeld said, people root for laundry. I don't think we'd be any less happy with what the basketball team did if they were all from out of state. Would ISU fans have been any more happy with what the basketball team did if they were all Iowans? I doubt it. When it comes to budget cuts, having a successful program with Iowans won't matter.
                  "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

There are no proposed budget cuts.

UNI made their decision on stipends months ago...hoops yes, football no. Manageable both competitively and financially. (There may be no athletic dept in the country more adept at managing through those kind of decisions...they live with that every day.)

D2 or D3...not remotely on the table.

Fellas...it's not all doom and gloom. Don't believe the hype.
                    Last edited by Blue42; 07-20-2015, 06:44 PM.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                    X