WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates on the coaching staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any updates on the coaching staff?

Originally posted by forthepurpleandthegold View Post
    Does anyone still have faith in Farley leading us to a natty or is he over the hill?
    I have more faith in coach Don Eursha

Comment

The absolute worst thing about basketbll being over is that it diverts our full attention to this disaster. Its March 7th, and we have, what, 3 total coaches?
      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
        The absolute worst thing about basketbll being over is that it diverts our full attention to this disaster. Its March 7th, and we have, what, 3 total coaches?
        No, it's fine. It's normal to lose all your coaches and not replace them.
        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Player-coaches, save on the budget.

Kind of surprised the Illinois schools weren't forced to do this by their state leg two years ago.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
            Player-coaches, save on the budget.

Kind of surprised the Illinois schools weren't forced to do this by their state leg two years ago.
            It wouldn't be a shocking development. Don't bother playing any of the Illinois State Lottery games. They're not paying any of the winners, and haven't for a few months. Seriously.

Illinois' budget issues have to have a trickle down effect on the FCS level state schools. Nothing yet to my knowledge, but it's bound to be a matter of time.

Comment

This is pretty much a good indicator of our place in the world:

"Quarterbacks coach Ken O?Keefe, who spent 13 years as Iowa?s offensive coordinator under Ferentz, signed a three-year deal that pays him $540,000 per year. Offensive line coach Tim Polasek was hired at $325,000 and wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland will make $225,000. Both have one-year deals." Marc Morehouse, The Gazette, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I believe Polasek was NDSU's offensive coordinator and was making in the area of $150,000 with the Bison.

Bill Salmon for all his years on the staff was a little over $90,000.

For all the criticizing about our ability to attract and keep coaches in my mind it all comes back to money. Some schools have it we don't.

Comment

[QUOTE=northwest iowa panther;456066]This is pretty much a good indicator of our place in the world:

"Quarterbacks coach Ken O?Keefe, who spent 13 years as Iowa?s offensive coordinator under Ferentz, signed a three-year deal that pays him $540,000 per year. Offensive line coach Tim Polasek was hired at $325,000 and wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland will make $225,000. Both have one-year deals." Marc Morehouse, The Gazette, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I believe Polasek was NDSU's offensive coordinator and was making in the area of $150,000 with the Bison.

For all the criticizing about our ability to attract and keep coaches in my mind it all comes back to money. Some schools have it we don't.[/QUOTE

Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure Salmon took a pay cut so some of the other coaches got paid more.

Comment

[QUOTE=farkmarley;456067]
                  Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

For all the criticizing about our ability to attract and keep coaches in my mind it all comes back to money. Some schools have it we don't.[/QUOTE

Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure Salmon took a pay cut so some of the other coaches got paid more.
                  Well...He went from OC to RB coach when Joe Davis was hired...So he likely took a pay cut when he took a smaller job.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

[QUOTE=farkmarley;456067]

Yeah I think we're very competitive with Farley's salary but not on the assistants.
                    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

For all the criticizing about our ability to attract and keep coaches in my mind it all comes back to money. Some schools have it we don't.
                      It's apples and oranges to compare the payroll and budgets of a P5 team, in a conference with it's own TV network, to a FCS school. A legit comparison would between FCS programs.

Are the assistants here paid comparable to IL St, Richmond, James Madison, Montana, etc? I honestly don't know.

Comment

Pretty sure that he was comparing Salmon's 90K salary to Polasek's 150K salary at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                          It's apples and oranges to compare the payroll and budgets of a P5 team, in a conference with it's own TV network, to a FCS school. A legit comparison would between FCS programs.

Are the assistants here paid comparable to IL St, Richmond, James Madison, Montana, etc? I honestly don't know.
                          Uh? I'm saying our coaches leave here to go to places that pay more. I'm not comparing anything. Many people come on here saying coaches leave because of problems within the staff. I'm saying our success rate of hiring good people leads to them going to places which can pay more.

As far as comparing apples to apples: JMU FCS 2016 National Champions (this information is from the official website)

James Madison University competes in the NCAA I (Colonial Athletic Association) and performs on and off the field. Ranked #201 in our overall Best Colleges ranking, James Madison University has a Learfield Score of 59.
                          James Madison University competes in 16 sports and has a total of 518 student athletes: 215 men and 303 women.
                          Total Sports Related Revenues
                          $34,595,223
                          Total Sports Related Expenses
                          $34,595,223

Comment

Uh? I'm saying our coaches leave here to go to places that pay more. I'm not comparing anything. Many people come on here saying coaches leave because of problems within the staff. I'm saying our success rate of hiring good people leads to them going to places which can pay more.

As far as comparing apples to apples: JMU FCS 2016 National Champions (this information is from the official website)

James Madison University competes in the NCAA I (Colonial Athletic Association) and performs on and off the field. Ranked #201 in our overall Best Colleges ranking, James Madison University has a Learfield Score of 59.
                            James Madison University competes in 16 sports and has a total of 518 student athletes: 215 men and 303 women.
                            Total Sports Related Revenues
                            $34,595,223
                            Total Sports Related Expenses
                            $34,595,223
                            James Madison is also the single highest subsidised program in all of D1

The most recent numbers - from USA Today's database for NCAA spending - shows they have expenses, and revenue, of 44,825,701. They received $35,837,395 in subsidy. Let me type that out so the massiveness of that hits you - THIRTY FIVE MILLION EIGHT HUNDRED THIRTY SEVEN THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED NINETY FIVE of their 44 million dollar budget is from subsidy. That is 79.95% of their budget. Which is also very nearly the highest % of budget subsidized in the nation.

That's the most in the country. Only one other school is over 30 million - Air Force.

Add 24 million dollars to UNIs athletic budget and you get an idea of the impact that would/could/does have. Or, to phrase it another way. In terms of % of budget subsided while keeping the same budget at UNI - UNI would get an extra 7.5 million dollars from subsidies.

Want to know where those subsidies come from?

They get $35,287,957 from student fees. Yep. Their financial aid site is very selective with what they share and what they show. It's difficult to find a true fee break down. From what I can tell each student pays about $1,700 directly to athletics as part of their tuition. Their student fees tied directly to athletics has more than doubled since 2005 when it was just at 17,000,000

Where as at UNI it's something like $200 per student and getting above that level is almost impossible. In 2015 UNI got $1,995,455 in student fees. In 2005 it was 1,111,067.

Think about that. Just actually sit there and think about that for a bit

Comment

What is exactly stopping the University from increasing these student fees, heck if you made them $500 dollars that would help our athletic programs immensely. Furthermore I don't think that an extra $300 dollars a year would deter many students from coming here.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                                What is exactly stopping the University from increasing these student fees, heck if you made them $500 dollars that would help our athletic programs immensely. Furthermore I don't think that an extra $300 dollars a year would deter many students from coming here.
                                Agree 100%. When I was a student, I didn't like the increases we saw either. However, looking at athletic budget increases instead of just tuition increase is different from my perspective. If we would have been told our athletic department "donations," if you will, would double, I initially probably Would have hesitations. However, if I thought about it enough, I would see the entertainment value that was involved in this and be OK with the price increase. I know athletics helps elevate our university's name recognition, but it also helps with entertainment options available on the athletic side and otherwise. More money should equal better facilities, coaching, and players. I, in turn, get to be entertained by those better facilities, either athletically or otherwise, as well as the teams involved. It is part of the college experience and I'm okay doing a bit more to improve my options. It's great for the community, but it's also rewarding for the student. Comparably, how much does the average student spend on other entertainment available locally? What's the difference in costs between these? Is there a way to look at the average entertainment ROI? Also, does the $200 fee above include the GBDPAC activities or any of the other "arts-related" activities on campus?

Comment

Working...
                                X