Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Where Are They Now?

Where Are They Now? Where are former UNI athletes and what are they doing now?

Old 10-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #36
BleedPurple

Default Re: Big 12 will not expand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
Iowa State football profits millions of dollars. Why would they ever do that?
I highly doubt Iowa State football is profiting millions of dollars....funniest statement yet. ISU and KU don't belong in the Big 12 from a football standpoint. Year in and year out they are not competitive.
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #37
JD720

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple View Post
I highly doubt Iowa State football is profiting millions of dollars....funniest statement yet.
I'd be surprised if they are not. The AD as a whole is breaking even now, but I'm sure each individual sport is not. Football and Mens BB are making money and paying for the rest of the sports.
JD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #38
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Breaking even or making a profit in a Power 5 school is generally a choice. There is more than enough money to make a profit. However, ADs (like all good bureaucrats) need to find a way to spend the revenue every year - lest someone makes a claim on a slice.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #39
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
I highly doubt Iowa State football is profiting millions of dollars....funniest statement yet. ISU and KU don't belong in the Big 12 from a football standpoint. Year in and year out they are not competitive.
ISU football brings in enough money to fund its entire AD and all renovations.
Just because ISU and KU struggle in football, doesn't mean they don't belong in Big 12 football. Every conference needs their bottom dwellers and they all have them. Kansas, ISU, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Washington St, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Virginia, Illinois, Purdue, etc.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #40
Codytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
ISU football brings in enough money to fund its entire AD and all renovations.
Just because ISU and KU struggle in football, doesn't mean they don't belong in Big 12 football. Every conference needs their bottom dwellers and they all have them. Kansas, ISU, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Washington St, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Virginia, Illinois, Purdue, etc.
While that may be the case, I think most conferences would prefer that their bottom dwellers do not lose to FCS opponents.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #41
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
While that may be the case, I think most conferences would prefer that their bottom dwellers do not lose to FCS opponents.
Meh, it happens. And if they really didn't like it, they would ban those games. Which I could eventually see happening across the board. Something UNI should hope never happens.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #42
JD720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
Or at least win a conference title once every hundred years.
JD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #43
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
Or at least win a conference title once every hundred years.
Actually, The Big 12 probably wants to keep that to Oklahoma and Texas.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #44
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
I highly doubt you have any idea what you are talking about.

http://www.iowaregents.edu/media/cms...CC458574D2.pdf

page 20.... ISU football profits millions of dollars.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #45
GonzoCat

There's really no way to tell from that breakdown how much ISU profits from football as almost none of the expenses are allocated by sport. The biggest revenue item at $29M is conference and NCAA revenue and there is no breakout by sport of that either. Without those two major pieces of the puzzle you cannot determine the profitability of any particular sport.

The breakdown of UNI athletics on page 25 does a much better job of allocating expenses to the sport. It shows that combined mens football and basketball at UNI turn a profit and all university support goes to cover other mens sports and womens sports. Shows how difficult the problem is to overcome at UNI. About the only option that would decrease the support would be to eliminate athletics all together. UNI also receives $28M per year less in conference/NCAA revenue than does ISU or roughly doubly UNI's total athletic budget.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #46
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
I highly doubt you have any idea what you are talking about.

http://www.iowaregents.edu/media/cms...CC458574D2.pdf

page 20.... ISU football profits millions of dollars.
Wow...that is an eye-opening document. It really puts in perspective how much we get out of our athletic programs (on field/court results) for the money. The fact that we even compete with the in-state universities on the field, much less beat them fairly often with that kind of discrepancy is amazing.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #47
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
There's really no way to tell from that breakdown how much ISU profits from football as almost none of the expenses are allocated by sport. The biggest revenue item at $29M is conference and NCAA revenue and there is no breakout by sport of that either. Without those two major pieces of the puzzle you cannot determine the profitability of any particular sport.

The breakdown of UNI athletics on page 25 does a much better job of allocating expenses to the sport. It shows that combined mens football and basketball at UNI turn a profit and all university support goes to cover other mens sports and womens sports. Shows how difficult the problem is to overcome at UNI. About the only option that would decrease the support would be to eliminate athletics all together. UNI also receives $28M per year less in conference/NCAA revenue than does ISU or roughly doubly UNI's total athletic budget.
You might not be able to tell exactly how many millions the football program profits but you can tell that the profit is in the millions of dollars. I think it's a conservative estimate to think that half of the conference money, licensing, multi-media rights, and foundation support are because of football.

That's like $30Million right there and there's no way they spend that much on football. Operating expenses for football is $3.6M. Hell the total cost of all salaries and scholarships for the entire athletic department is less than $28M
Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #48
GonzoCat

The $12.5 for debt service and capital projects is likely almost all Jack Trice related and a big chunk of the $6.7 facilities cost would be as well. The $6.3 coaching change cost is fb although that is a one time charge. One time every 4-5 years in ISU's case. On the other hand the post season expense is entirely non fb related.

It's just not possible to evaluate the P/L on a per sport basis with the information given. If you want to say fb makes millions based on your assuptions, fine. Operating expenses for fb at ISU are $3.8M and at UNI it's $3.3M. Pretty obvious the numbers are not reflecting the same costs. One thing is for sure, without the conference (Texas) revenue fb at ISU, and the whole AD, loses millions.

Last edited by GonzoCat; 10-27-2016 at 12:14 PM.
GonzoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #49
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
One thing is for sure, without the conference (Texas) revenue fb at ISU, and the whole AD, loses millions.
But they do have the conference revenue and it's because of football. Really estimating only 50% of conference/media revenue being from football is an understatement.

Iowa spends $20M on football. You think ISU spends more or less?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #50
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
On the other hand the post season expense is entirely non fb related.
Assume you meant post season revenue. I wonder what that is since NCAA revenue is on a seperate line?

Also this source puts ISU's football expenses at $15M and revenue at $33M. Furthern more, MBB and football pays for all other mens sports and there's still $17M left over.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details
Old 10-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #51
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
ndsu already being in big 12 in Wrestling was hoping for an expansión spot. $50mil new basketball arena and promises of a 50,000 seat out doors stadium if they got an invite

This is not what would make a school attractive to the Big 12. They need to have huge potential for subscription viewing. Sorry, but as much as I respect the NDSU football fans, I don't think you guys bring this to the table. Maybe it would be different if you didn't travel so well to away games and were willing to buy subscriptions to watch.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #52
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
Wow...that is an eye-opening document. It really puts in perspective how much we get out of our athletic programs (on field/court results) for the money. The fact that we even compete with the in-state universities on the field, much less beat them fairly often with that kind of discrepancy is amazing.

Indeed. It makes you wonder what Iowa State and EIU are actually spending all the money on.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #53
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
Indeed. It makes you wonder what Iowa State and EIU are actually spending all the money on.
As you can see in that BOR budget link, the biggest expenses are the coaching salaries, program operations, and paying off facility upgrades. The AD is going to try and keep the revenue and expenses about equal. There's always going to be facility upgrades otherwise they start falling behind in the arms race of college athletics and the coaching salaries will always be rising. Once the new SEZ gets paid off, they will move to renovate something else. I know the AD has said they want to renovate the locker rooms/player lounge again, the press box needs to be renovated, and Hilton will probably be upgraded again as well. Maybe building a new athlete dorm is on the short list, too. Renovating facilities is a never ending expense.