Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > News Forums > College Football News

Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
FargoPanther

Default NDSU to play at Target Field?

This has been rumored for years on the UNI side, but it looks like it may finally happen. With Minnesota Twins CFO Kip Elliott a UNI alum, with the number of NDSU and UNI alum in the Twin Cities, I'm sure the opponent is UNI. Be great exposure for FCS and the MVFC, with about 30k Bison fans!

http://www.inforum.com/news/4122131-...271VBE.twitter
FargoPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

If they want to forfeit a game in Fargo, great. If not, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Default Re: NDSU to play at Target Field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
This.

No way we give up a home game and they aren't giving up a home game against us I wouldn't imagine.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
Totally agree. Would love to attend this, but they'd have way more home field advantage there than us anyway, so it would have to be them giving up the home game.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
JD720

I've never seen the appeal of football games in baseball stadiums when there's a perfectly good football stadium in town. I suppose US Bank stadium costs more to rent than Target field, but if they are hell bent on playing a game in Minneapolis TCF would be better than Target Field.
JD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
havok58

Well, they made a football field fit into Wrigley field, so I'm sure it can be at Target Field.

The article also mentioned the game would most likely have to come from NDSU's home schedule, but that even plays to their favor as the Twin Cities has a large NDSU alumni base. Still would be fun to go up there and watch it.
havok58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok58 View Post
Well, they made a football field fit into Wrigley field, so I'm sure it can be at Target Field.

The article also mentioned the game would most likely have to come from NDSU's home schedule, but that even plays to their favor as the Twin Cities has a large NDSU alumni base. Still would be fun to go up there and watch it.
Tons of NDSU folks in the Twin Cities.

I see shirts, hats, car plate frames, etc. almost daily. Aside from meet-ups to watch UNI football and basketball games I can count the number of people sporting UNI stuff over the past 15 years up here on one hand - about the same I experienced living in Los Angeles area for three years before that.

I bet they would pull 30+k into a stadium in the Twin Cities from the Cities, out-state and ND on the announcement alone. Definite home game for NDSU.

Last edited by ronfitch; 09-27-2016 at 09:42 AM.
ronfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
CincyPanther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
This.

No way we give up a home game and they aren't giving up a home game against us I wouldn't imagine.
That would be ideal but I could see a two year deal where NDSU gives up a home game 1 year and we give up ours the next
Old 09-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
That would be ideal but I could see a two year deal where NDSU gives up a home game 1 year and we give up ours the next
Why would we agree to that?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Nah, our capitulating AD lives in New Orleans now.

I'm all for it if they want to give up a home game. No thanks if we have to.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
CincyPanther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
Why would we agree to that?
Not saying we would but NDSU has to give up a home game too. What's their incentive to give up a home game?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Send a message via AIM to TravelingPanther

Quote:
Not saying we would but NDSU has to give up a home game too. What's their incentive to give up a home game?
Money. Exposure.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
Money. Exposure.
an excuse to get out of Fargo/North Dakota for a few hours.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #14
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Think about how many fans they would bring to a game like this, then think realistically about how many we would bring. It is a home game for them.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #15
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

I like the idea of playing them there . . . but not at the expense of a home game.

What is the likely payday for playing a game there? NDSU would probably do it as part of their branding. We should only consider it if it is just an insanely good payday.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
I like the idea of playing them there . . . but not at the expense of a home game.

What is the likely payday for playing a game there? NDSU would probably do it as part of their branding. We should only consider it if it is just an insanely good payday.
If it was their home game there most likely would be no payday. It would actually save us in travel costs I assume.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
havok58

If the seating was still set at 40,000 after adding the field and the Bison kept the ticket price the same as they charge at the FargoDome at $50, they're looking at $2,000,000 before expenses. Raising it to $75 a ticket (assuming they bring in UNI or SDSU) then it will bring in $3,000,000. Of course, the Twins will get their cut (maybe give them concessions).

Either way, NDSU should make a nice chunk of change if it happens. I don't think UNI should ever sign a two-game deal where they give up a home game as well to play up there, unless it's like UNIDad said, for a good payday.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #18
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
If it was their home game there most likely would be no payday. It would actually save us in travel costs I assume.

I would be okay with it if it was their home game.

I would only begin to think about giving up our home game if there was an insane amount of money on the table . . . and even then probably wouldn't accept it because the NDSU game is the best opportunity to build our brand locally . . . maybe even Hok and Clone fans would come to see an in-state team that can handle the Bison.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
UNIpanther99

I'm assuming we'd have to be stuck with our usual TV package for this kind of game. It would be great if the conference office would help push this to a higher tier TV partner. ESPNU or FS1 would be ideal.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #20
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

If UNI was offered a 2 game series with $750k guaranteed each year, would you expect the AD to pass that up? And let's be clear, some sponsorship would be able to help guarantee the money up front.

30,000 tix x $50/tix= $1.5 million (pre-expense)

We get, what...8,000 season tix at $125/tix average? That's $1 Million.

If UNI is able to get a guaranteed $1.5 million over 2 years and give up only one home game...especially in a 12 game season year...how do you NOT do that? And to display our product in the Twin Cities where we recruit heavily...I like the idea.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
If UNI was offered a 2 game series with $750k guaranteed each year, would you expect the AD to pass that up? And let's be clear, some sponsorship would be able to help guarantee the money up front.

If UNI is able to get a guaranteed $1.5 million over 2 years and give up only one home game...especially in a 12 game season year...how do you NOT do that? And to display our product in the Twin Cities where we recruit heavily...I like the idea.
If this was this scenario there is no way that we turn it down.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #22
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:

You take this deal in a heartbeat.

You don't take giving up a home game just to play a game in the Twin Cities with no financial incentive.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #23
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

In fact, I think just based on those numbers, you tell NDSU that you just want the guarantee and they can keep the rest (or the decrease in revenue) if they take care of the expense and we can both carry the game on our respective networks (unless a regional/national carrier wants the game...which I think is doubtful given that the game would occur late in September at the earliest). If they think they can 40k there at a higher tix price, more power to them. UNI needs the guarantee money.

I don't even know if we need to make this a back to back year thing. This could be in 2017 (NDSU home game already scheduled) and 2019 (12 game schedule year and UNI flips their 2018 or 2020 home game to NDSU....which I really wouldn't mind as we are on a schedule that pits UNI on road vs NDSU/SDSU/SIU/ILSU the same year currently).

If you could get a $750k Twin Cities guarantee, a $500k FBS guarantee, and sell $1+ million in season tickets, you are on your way to helping solve some of our financial woes.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #24
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

You also would have to be guaranteed that we have a minimum of five games at home in that particular year. You can't bring a four game home slate to season ticket holders.

Its hard enough as it is to get home games, I'm not in favor of losing any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #25
havok58

Those numbers sound nice, but does NDSU have to pay UNI or come to a financial agreement if there is a change in venue that only affects NDSU losing a home game? Afterall, they are already scheduled to play each other. I could see the financial agreement form if it was in one of the seasons where UNI and NDSU aren't scheduled to play each other and then that game could be considered the pre-conference money game.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
GonzoCat

I dont' see us getting $750K under any circumstances. I don't think we've ever got that much in a FBS game. NDSU is the draw, not UNI, they can get a high level non-con FCS team to play for a lot less than that.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #27
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Keep in mind, UNI and NDSU are both 'giving up' one home game. It's in an area both teams would like to gain attention. We've never gotten $750k before, this is true. However, FBS opponents get $1 million or more to play games. I'm just saying if you are going to split the revenue and can get $750k-ish per game, you should do it. NDSU is just looking for a partner...we should be willing.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #28
GonzoCat

Oh, I agree we should be willing. I just don't see any reason why NDSU would be willing to split the revenue with UNI. We should probably be willing at a 2/1 split. $500K would also be more than we have ever received from ISU or UI I think. May have gotten over that from Wisconsin. Just about any FCS team not named Montana would probably be willing to come in and play NDSU for $350K in a one off.

Last edited by GonzoCat; 09-27-2016 at 05:29 PM.
GonzoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #29
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

I still think what makes the most sense is 1 game, Bison home game, no money exchanged.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
$500K would also be more than we have ever received from ISU or UI I think.
It's possible the payout from ISU may have been around that with the clause about percentage of gate revenue, but I don't know any of the actual numbers from those games.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #31
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
Oh, I agree we should be willing. I just don't see any reason why NDSU would be willing to split the revenue with UNI. We should probably be willing at a 2/1 split. $500K would also be more than we have ever received from ISU or UI I think. May have gotten over that from Wisconsin. Just about any FCS team not named Montana would probably be willing to come in and play NDSU for $350K in a one off.
Didn't we get $550k from Iowa 2 years ago?

Would like to see an official report on the ISU payout this year but sure seems like it would be over $500k. (20% of net ticket receipts)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #32
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Payouts listed here (minus what the gate receipts were for ISU this year)
http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=5713
Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #33
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
And to display our product in the Twin Cities where we recruit heavily...I like the idea.

Should a game in the Twin Cities be expected to do much for recruiting? I'm more interested in using games to build support among fans than recruits. And I think that needs to be done in Iowa.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #34
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Outside of Iowa, it's the #2 metro area for UNI alumni. It would be a good place to outreach to.

Our basketball team plays in Chicago and has in KC, but there isn't a big draw to gather UNI alumni for a sporting event there. This would do it. Minnesota won't play UNI in basketball and outside of a NCAA Tournament appearance there, this is as close as it could get.

Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 09-27-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #35
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
Should a game in the Twin Cities be expected to do much for recruiting? I'm more interested in using games to build support among fans than recruits. And I think that needs to be done in Iowa.
If they play 5 other games in Iowa would it hurt to play a high profile game in MN?