Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #71
UNIhoops

Default Re: Offer Mr. Green! Class of 2018

Nice!! I assume he is in Oklahoma City with his dad? How many teams can make an offer and take the recruit with to the tourney?
UNIhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #72
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIhoops View Post
Nice!! I assume he is in Oklahoma City with his dad? How many teams can make an offer and take the recruit with to the tourney?
With zero NCAA violations taking place.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #73
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Blue bloods
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #74
'70 Grad

We didn't "take" him, but Bennett Koch got free tickets from us as a teenager to OKC. Probably in 2009 also.

Last edited by '70 Grad; 03-17-2016 at 10:19 AM.
'70 Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #75
Panther AC

Mr. Green on the floor with his dad and Panthers players for open practice tonight. Mr. McDonnell not on the floor but on crutches after knee scoped several days ago. Mr. Warner and sons in attendance and had long conversation with new AD Mr. Harris on the floor.
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #76
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
Mr. Green on the floor with his dad and Panthers players for open practice tonight. Mr. McDonnell not on the floor but on crutches after knee scoped several days ago. Mr. Warner and sons in attendance and had long conversation with new AD Mr. Harris on the floor.
You sound like Bill O'Rielly, or an article from the Wall Street Journal. Was Mr. Trump (cough) there?

If McDonnell needed to get his knee cleaned out, this is a good time to do it. Hopefully McDonnell, Koch, Friedman, and Dahl live in the weight room once we're done.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #77
unipanther2154

I just hope we can somehow pull off this recruitment. It sucks it's going to prob drag out for the next year and some change. He could be a program changing type of pg for us.
unipanther2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #78
BCPanther
PN Crusader

AJ is a really nice player, but program changing is a bit of a stretch.

He knows the program and knows the system and that is his biggest advantage. I don't think he's the player that McCloud is and that's okay. We'd have two years of them complementing each other.

The whole key here is just to continue to accumulate talent and make sure that we're raising the level with each new class. We're doing that consistently right now.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #79
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post

He knows the program and knows the system and that is his biggest advantage. I don't think he's the player that McCloud is and that's okay. We'd have two years of them complementing each other.

The whole key here is just to continue to accumulate talent and make sure that we're raising the level with each new class. We're doing that consistently right now.
Your last paragraph is spot on. Regardless of whether it's anyone else, in state, out of state, etc. It does sound like Green would be a nice addition to the program. If people want the program to continue improving, then the talent level of the roster needs to keep going upward.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #80
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

We don't really know how good he is going to be, actually. And he's already really good. He's only a sophomore in HS, and is already tearing it up. If not for a lucky tip in at the buzzer (by another future Panther) he would have led CF to the state title game, which would have been pretty remarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #81
unipanther2154

[QUOTE=BCPanther;440055]AJ is a really nice player, but program changing is a bit of a stretch.

The whole key here is just to continue to accumulate talent and make sure that we're raising the level with each new class. We're doing that consistently right now.[/

I just think his talent level can help bring our program to new levels. To have a true PG that can shoot, pass, and drive along with the type of players this program gets would be deadly IMO. I do think he will end up being a semi elite talent coming out of HS but I'll also admit I'm crazy high on this kid having seen him play some. Maybe a little higher on him with me thinking he could be purple and gold...
Old 03-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #82
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Put it this way, Fran McCafferry's kid at IC West is rated by some services as a top 50 kid in the country and he was nowhere near the player AJ is as a sophomore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #83
claw

How McCaffery is that highly rated is just crazy. He's not fluid at all. Not overly quick. I must be missing something somewhere
Old 03-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #84
Panther AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
You sound like Bill O'Rielly, or an article from the Wall Street Journal. Was Mr. Trump (cough) there?

If McDonnell needed to get his knee cleaned out, this is a good time to do it. Hopefully McDonnell, Koch, Friedman, and Dahl live in the weight room once we're done.
Not trying to sound like anyone. Just following the same prefix as stated in the title of this thread!
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #85
panther1

Quote:

You're incorrect here, and hopefully UNI will get the chance to show it by landing Green. He is very possibly the best high school player in Iowa as a sophomore and has upside in that he knows the program and system at UNI. He grew up dreaming of playing for the Panthers and is good enough to make it a reality.
panther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #86
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther1 View Post
You're incorrect here, and hopefully UNI will get the chance to show it by landing Green. He is very possibly the best high school player in Iowa as a sophomore and has upside in that he knows the program and system at UNI. He grew up dreaming of playing for the Panthers and is good enough to make it a reality.
Again, I hope He comes here and I think he'll have a really nice career here. Calling him the best player in the state is not even close to true.

Glad we're placing realistic expectations on him.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #87
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Again, I hope He comes here and I think he'll have a really nice career here. Calling him the best player in the state is not even close to true.

Glad we're placing realistic expectations on him.
Hey, you're the one capitalizing pronouns referring to him.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #88
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Aj got upgraded to a 3 star rating on Rivals, for those who will argue that stars actually matter.
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #89
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose39 View Post
Aj got upgraded to a 3 star rating on Rivals, for those who will argue that stars actually matter.
Really hope we got get him but I fear he will blow up too much over the next 2 years.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #90
northwest iowa panther

Ok, here we go. Coach Nagy the head coach at South Dakota State is moving to Wright State. Justin Sell has UNI connections. The schools and their athletic programs are very similar. SDSU has been and is very aggressive about upgrading their programs. You would think people on Jake's staff would be given serious consideration to replace Nagy. If they hold the head coaching salary the same as Nagy's, any UNI assistant would get a doubling or even tripling of what they are paid at UNI (Nagy $225,000). Green $107,000
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #91
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
Ok, here we go. Coach Nagy the head coach at South Dakota State is moving to Wright State. Justin Sell has UNI connections. The schools and their athletic programs are very similar. SDSU has been and is very aggressive about upgrading their programs. You would think people on Jake's staff would be given serious consideration to replace Nagy. If they hold the head coaching salary the same as Nagy's, any UNI assistant would get a doubling or even tripling of what they are paid at UNI (Nagy $225,000). Green $107,000
I have no inside knowledge but I think it is possible although likely not probable.

After the D3 job Green took I am not sure he would leave again. Not sure he would take a non-UNI head coaching job. Seems to like the family time etc. Hogan might be more likely to leave. But again that is all speculation. They all have pretty good gigs here.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #92
BCPanther
PN Crusader

I'd be pretty surprised if SDSU looked at any of our assistants for that opening. They're in a place where they can get somebody with a decent pedigree of head coaching experience.

Tom Billeter from Augustana is going to get a look and it wouldn't surprise me if Marty Simmons looked pretty hard at that job after being a finalist and not getting the Wright State job. There's plenty of talent to run Marty's system in the area and he gets two games a year in Indiana so he can still recruit there. He'd also go from having the smallest budget in his league to the second largest.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #93
claw

Green will be in CF longer than Jake.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #94
SteinPizza

Quote:
I'd be pretty surprised if SDSU looked at any of our assistants for that opening. They're in a place where they can get somebody with a decent pedigree of head coaching experience.

Tom Billeter from Augustana is going to get a look and it wouldn't surprise me if Marty Simmons looked pretty hard at that job after being a finalist and not getting the Wright State job. There's plenty of talent to run Marty's system in the area and he gets two games a year in Indiana so he can still recruit there. He'd also go from having the smallest budget in his league to the second largest.
SDSU might also be in a position to land a P5 assistant with a few ties to that area. I'm sure there are a couple around. Lack of budget/resources is definitely a reason to jump ship in any profession, so you can't blame Marty for looking.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #95
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Green will be in CF longer than Jake.
This is what I'm hoping for as well.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #96
UNIChippewa

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
I don't know what Wright State is giving Nagy in terms of salary, but I'm a bit surprised that Nagy is leaving SDSU. I have to imagine they're a more solid program than Wright State, even if the Horizon is a bit stronger than the Summit overall.
UNIChippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #97
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIChippewa View Post
I don't know what Wright State is giving Nagy in terms of salary, but I'm a bit surprised that Nagy is leaving SDSU. I have to imagine they're a more solid program than Wright State, even if the Horizon is a bit stronger than the Summit overall.
The article said that the coach fired was in the $250,000 range and it was probable that they were offering more to the next coach.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #98
claw

I've read Naggy will be north of 500k
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #99
CyCarp

How long til AJ gets a P5 offer? South Dakota State has offered him now.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #100
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarp View Post
How long til AJ gets a P5 offer? South Dakota State has offered him now.
Which says Iowa State was sniffing around. TJ has been there all of 10 days...
Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #101
DownGoesKansas

AJ is a recruit I really want to see at UNI but I feel like he will go someplace with a bigger name.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #102
CyCarp

Interesting article about recruiting, specifically talking about AJ.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...oops/83508932/

The highest-profile prospect might be extremely close to home. UNI assistant Kyle Green’s son, A.J., is a 2018 recruit coming off a show-stopping state tournament with Cedar Falls.

“My first question has been, ‘Why isn’t A.J. Green getting looked at by more schools?’” Rushing said.
“I’ve been told a lot of schools think it’s a foregone conclusion he’s going to land at UNI, so why waste the time and resources recruiting him? But I think it would behoove other schools to at least look into it.
"To me, he’s the one kid in the entire state that stands out as being under-recruited and could really flourish at the college level.”
Green is lean and generously listed at 6-1, but mature dribbling and shooting skills could make him one of the summer’s biggest ranking risers.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #103
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarp View Post
Interesting article about recruiting, specifically talking about AJ.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...oops/83508932/

The highest-profile prospect might be extremely close to home. UNI assistant Kyle Green’s son, A.J., is a 2018 recruit coming off a show-stopping state tournament with Cedar Falls.

“My first question has been, ‘Why isn’t A.J. Green getting looked at by more schools?’” Rushing said.
“I’ve been told a lot of schools think it’s a foregone conclusion he’s going to land at UNI, so why waste the time and resources recruiting him? But I think it would behoove other schools to at least look into it.
"To me, he’s the one kid in the entire state that stands out as being under-recruited and could really flourish at the college level.”
Green is lean and generously listed at 6-1, but mature dribbling and shooting skills could make him one of the summer’s biggest ranking risers.
I hope those people are correct..
Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #104
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Added an offer from North Dakota yesterday
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #105
unipanther2154

He has interest from Nebraska and Minnesota.....the one that actually worries me is gonzaga is showing interest. This kid very well may slip out of our reach soon.