Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #36
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Default Re: Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Hopefully he commits before UNI moves on...
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #37
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

We currently have three offers out there to fill two, possibly three spots. I think we'll keep this offer open for a bit longer than normal.
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #38
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Rarely will UNI pull an offer (usually it's just that the offer got accepted by someone else...which most likely happened with Jordan Bohannon once McCloud committed). However, until now, Phyfe has been the only center that UNI has offered in 2017. It's coming up on one year which is typically when the staff seems to move on (from what has been documented historically). The offer will most likely stand until it's taken by another post player, but I would imagine you'll start seeing more offers start coming out to post players soon because you just can't wait all day long. At this point, you know the program, you know what the scholarship matrix looks like, and you either like the fit or you don't. That's what it seems like with UNI historically at the one year mark. Plenty have passed up on that opportunity only to end up elsewhere (typically they transfer later) while UNI finds guys who want to be here and have low turnover/transfer rates. I hope a local kid like Phyfe comes to UNI and thrives.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 09-18-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #39
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Rarely will UNI pull an offer (usually it's just that the offer got accepted by someone else...which most likely happened with Jordan Bohannon once McCloud committed). However, until now, Phyfe has been the only center that UNI has offered in 2017. It's coming up on one year which is typically when the staff seems to move on (from what has been documented historically). The offer will most likely stand until it's taken by another post player, but I would imagine you'll start seeing more offers start coming out to post players soon because you just can't wait all day long. At this point, you know the program, you know what the scholarship matrix looks like, and you either like the fit or you don't. That's what it seems like with UNI historically at the one year mark. Plenty have passed up on that opportunity only to end up elsewhere (typically they transfer later) while UNI finds guys who want to be here and have low turnover/transfer rates. I hope a local kid like Phyfe comes to UNI and thrives.
That part. It's not like Phfyfe doesn't understand what the program, the city, the staff, etc... are like. Everyone is well aware of the connections and how well he knows/should know where and how he fits. If after this long of having an offer, with all he already knows, there's reason to believe he isn't going to be in purple
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #40
UNIDebo

Bet it's because IOWA's chirping in this kids ear. For some reason Fran has been going after a lot of in-state kids lately. Seems UNI offers a kid and their lurking in the shadows, or maybe my tin foil hat is broken.

Phfyfe hopefully figures it out soon. Otherwise, UNI probably should be looking/offering Bigs from Minnesota, Wisconsin, even Illinois.
UNIDebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #41
4N6
Panther Pride in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
Steve was a good player, and good guy. He was a good athlete, and had some serious "hops". Overall, a very good compliment to Reese down low. If his son has some of the same traits, then he'll more of a Buss like player than Jason Reese, Gruber, etc.
From a guy who was there when it happened ...

Steve Phyfe was part of a tremendous group of athletes who turned Northern Iowa from a wanna be to the beginnings of a force in college basketball. You never, ever saw Steve Phyfe as a burden on the court, as a drag on the team, playing in a lack-luster manner. He just happened to come from a small school (immaterial) and excelled at UNI.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #42
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Phyfe did leave the state first before coming to UNI though. I really think Austin is a great fit at UNI do hopefully he comes here. He's got a chance to have a real nice career at UNI.

http://m.newsok.com/article/2105519
http://m.newsok.com/article/2104416
Old 09-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #43
catsize

Austin has offers from North Dakota (Brian Jones was a freshman when Steve was a senior) and Air Force. Not exactly power schools. I wonder if our offer was initially a 4 for 5 and he's waiting to see if he gets a full.
catsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #44
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Myles hanson has received an offer from UNI per verbal commits
Old 10-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #45
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Caleb Bennett offered by UNI. 6'4" wing out of St. Joes,Missouri

https://mobile.twitter.com/cb_beball...22545864572933
Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #46
otter

Not too much out there on Caleb Bennett, but I did find an article about him entering HS his freshmen year. http://www.stjoechannel.com/sports/h...asketball-camp

His twitter picture is him in front of the panther statue outside the McLeod
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #47
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Quote:
@coreyevans_10: Northern Iowa will play host to 2017 Kickapoo wing Jared Ridder on Saturday
I believe he visited Creighton a week or two ago.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #48
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Kind of something to go along with this. There was an update on Brad Davison, whom has had an offer from UNI for quite a while (over a year if I'm not mistaken) There was an update on him a couple of weeks ago via NY2LA

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_o...articleid=3178

Quote:
A high-IQ, heady floor general, they don’t come tougher and more determined than Osseo (Minn.) Maple Grove 2017 point guard Brad Davison. Holding five early scholarship offers, Davison is fielding a solid amount of high major interest this fall.

One of those programs, Wisconsin, hosted Davison unofficially for the third time this year last Saturday.

“It was great,” Davison told NY2LA Sports. “It was great to spend time with their coaches. The atmosphere around campus on a football game day was awesome. It was really cool to see. It was a unique experience. A lot of red, a lot of fans.”

Davison has offers from Nebraska, Northern Iowa, Winthrop, Buffalo, and George Mason.

He picked up his first and only high major offer from the Huskers last year.

“I was really excited,” he said. “It happened right after my sophomore season. It was exciting to know I could play at that level.

“They’ve been up here twice for open gyms this fall. I still text with their staff and coach (Tim) Miles quite a bit.”

Davison added that Northern Iowa and South Dakota State are also pushing hard for his services as of late.

Northern Iowa: “They’ve been really successful. I have a really good relationship with their coaches. They have a great program and tradition there.”

South Dakota State: “I went down there earlier this fall. I talk with their coaches quite a bit. We have a strong relationship as well.”

Missouri, Gonzaga, Stanford, Wichita State, Drake, Davidson, and Vanderbilt are also showing interest in Davison.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound junior has no leaders at this time. His timeline going forward is also open.

“I’m still pretty even with everyone,” he said. “I haven’t sat down and talked it over with my parents yet.

“To be honest, I’m not really sure when I’ll make a decision. I think I’ll probably let things play out for a while to see what options I have.”

Davison plays with Howard Pulley during the travel season.
- See more at: http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_o....giV6uWxA.dpuf
Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #49
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Austin Phyfe commits to UNI per twitter sources. Boo Ya!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #50
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Austin Phyfe just committed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #51
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

I read his tweet while sitting on the worlds hottest airplane. Almost shrieked out loud. Great news.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #52
claw

Excellent news
Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #53
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Fantastic news! I was hoping he would commit. He's s great fit and has a chance to play quite a bit at an early stage in his career. I would think UNI just goes after a wing with the other scholarship in 2017.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #54
otter

He had visited Iowa 5 days earlier
Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #55
unipanther2154

Great news!! Seems like a kid who could turn into something special.
unipanther2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #56
CincyPanther88

Any relation to Steve?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #57
Panther'73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
Any relation to Steve?
I believe his son...
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #58
CincyPanther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther'73 View Post
I believe his son...
Thought he might be but I thought someone would mention it.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #59
otter

http://m.wcfcourier.com/sports/baske...ile_touch=true
Old 11-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #60
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

His sister is on the UNI swim team as well
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #61
otter

http://m.wcfcourier.com/sports/baske...ile_touch=true

New story on Phyfe's commitment
Old 11-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #62
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Thrilled with this one. Jake keeps rolling!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #63
unipanther2154

Anyone able to give a good analysis on his game and how it will fit with our style? I'm sure some of the ppl on this board have seen him play with the proximity to CF. I know the article goes into some but was just looking at maybe a more in depth analysis.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #64
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipanther2154 View Post
Anyone able to give a good analysis on his game and how it will fit with our style? I'm sure some of the ppl on this board have seen him play with the proximity to CF. I know the article goes into some but was just looking at maybe a more in depth analysis.
Big dude that can go inside and out.

Maybe not the best comparison, but he reminds me a bit of Jake Koch. As much as many seemed to think he wasn't that good, Jake is one of the best to ever wear a Panther uniform.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #65
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Jake was extremely underrated - if he's anything like him, I'll be thrilled.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #66
unipanther2154

https://shar.es/15hTWr
Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #67
Panther'73

Coach Jake and Coach Green were at the UNI WBB game this afternoon visiting with Brad Davison, brother to Steph and Angie on the women's team.
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #68
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther'73 View Post
Coach Jake and Coach Green were at the UNI WBB game this afternoon visiting with Brad Davison, brother to Steph and Angie on the women's team.
I posted an article before Phyfe committed about how UNI was still going after. Davison.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #69
unipanther2154

It would be pretty amazing if we pulled this off and he came to UNI.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #70
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

What will the scholarship breakdown look like? Graduating seniors will be Wes, Paul, Matt and...who else? Are we looking at 2 additional openings to add to? Phyfe provides another 4/5 type player I'm guessing. So we'd be in the hunt for some depth at guard? Most likely the 2/3 spot?
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote