WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

The simple rule is 4 hours before game time. I'm sure if it was 6 most in this thread would want 8 and if it was 8 you would want 10. I can't figure this out other than that's America. A four o'clock game means you get there at noon, set up the grill, socialize, play some games and GO TO THE Game, what more do you want--oh wait, I've already answered my own question. I laugh at the people that feel it is their unalienable right "to want" and then get more. Talk about a grade school mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
      The simple rule is 4 hours before game time. I'm sure if it was 6 most in this thread would want 8 and if it was 8 you would want 10. I can't figure this out other than that's America. A four o'clock game means you get there at noon, set up the grill, socialize, play some games and GO TO THE Game, what more do you want--oh wait, I've already answered my own question. I laugh at the people that feel it is their unalienable right "to want" and then get more. Talk about a grade school mentality.
      Have you ever been out at halftime and witnessed how many people don't even GO TO THE GAME? They come for the tailgating experience.
      "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

Trotterpalooza is dead. Long live Trotterpalooza.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988 View Post
          Have you ever been out at halftime and witnessed how many people don't even GO TO THE GAME? They come for the tailgating experience.
          What good do those people do for the program? If they're just looking for a place to get drunk outdoors why should UNI provide it.

I know there are many schools (one in this state even) where all the games are sold out and coming to tailgate is the best many fans can hope for and that's how they feel they are part of the program. But at UNI, where 25-50% of the tickets are unsold almost every game there is no point to having people come just for the "tailgate experience". I think you can safely assume those people are not PSC members or supporting UNI in any other way.
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
            What good do those people do for the program? If they're just looking for a place to get drunk outdoors why should UNI provide it.

I know there are many schools (one in this state even) where all the games are sold out and coming to tailgate is the best many fans can hope for and that's how they feel they are part of the program. But at UNI, where 25-50% of the tickets are unsold almost every game there is no point to having people come just for the "tailgate experience". I think you can safely assume those people are not PSC members or supporting UNI in any other way.
            Right or wrong, why do you think that Iowa and ISU can sustain and grow the popularity of their programs? It's not about a winning a game, it's about 6 or 7 awesome Saturdays a year. If it were about the game, both of those programs would be screwed.

It's not about partying either. I grew up walking around Iowa City on game day because my parents and grandparents went there. As much as I love the panthers, I can't replicate that feeling at UNI, just like 1988 and born a Panther can't replicate it in Iowa City. That's what I mean when I say that's it's a generational thing. It has to be in your blood to truly become a tradition. Why try to limit that?

Comment

Iowa has a great mix of university owned and privately owned tailgating spots around Kinnick. IMO, that's what makes for a great atmosphere. They have to allow a little fun, otherwise it would just drive everyone to the privately owned areas.

ISU is much more like UNI in that pretty much all of the tailgating has to happen on university owned property. If ISU can open things up at 5am, there is no reason UNI can't. Times have changed. Tailgating is part of the college football culture now and if it's an issue of staffing and security, why not just charge a few bucks for those who come early enough to tailgate? Maybe we could even afford a few more port-a-johns.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

I am going to have to disagree with you on these people not being PSC members. Most of the people that stay out there are in the Gold lot right across from the Dome. I challenge you to step out there in a couple of weeks to check it out.
                "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

By the way, its not true that all tailgates have drinking or excessive behavior. UNI tailgating has exploded in the last decade and we need fo nourish it, not restrict it. Why? Because massive crowds of excited fans boost the program by their mere presence, and by extension promote the university. Its a whole lot easier to convince people to fill empty seats when they are already outside the dome having a good time.

Yes, people like excitement and good old school spirit much better than obeying antiquated rules. Break down the barriers, harass the bureaucracy; its what Americans do best!

Comment

Maybe they will be drunk enough to want to put up with UNItix...

Comment

Troy's Take today addresses the 4 hour rule

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974
                        This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Here is one response on twitter:

yeah lets not learn from our peer in state institutions i mean they are only selling out every game and bringing in lots of money because of it... i mean who wants to sell out games and make money? I guess not UNI...#troystake
                          Originally posted by TH1974
                          This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

How about selling out the dome a couple times in a row before taking a dump on the AD twitter guy?

There is a slight difference of dealing with 50,000-60,000 versus 14,000

Comment

Thanks for posting that Kyle-I couldn't get it to work for me when I posted.

Comment

If people want to tailgate earlier, then it seems, according to Troy, that people should be letting the athletic and public safety department know this. And it needs to be done in a non-confrontational way with legitimate reasons so they see it's not about the drinking but about the game-day atmosphere. Using Iowa and Iowa State as reference points probably won't help, so it needs to be peer institutions.

Comment

Working...
                                X