Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
UNIhoops

Default Marvin Singleton Commits to Northern Iowa

Northern Iowa adds third recruit to 2011 class
6-foot-5 junior forward Marvin Singleton verbally committed to Northern Iowa on Sunday, according to Antonio Curro of
http://www.ny2lasports.com/daily_dim...spx?dimeid=822

Singleton, who plays with the Howard Pulley Panthers AAU program, becomes the third recruit for UNI in the 2011 class, joining point guard JeVon Lyle and small forward Seth Tuttle.

ESPN Grade 88

Hometown Minnetonka, MN
High School Hopkins High School
Position rank Small Forward # 54
Height 6'5"
Weight 210 lbs.

Last edited by UNIhoops; 07-05-2010 at 08:24 PM.
UNIhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Default Re: Marvin Singleton Commits to Northern Iowa

Nice...I've been waiting for this to happen. He's a different kind of athleticism for the guard court. He's kind of like Erik Crawford in that he's a big, strong guard who can body up on posts if needed. He's got a D1-ready body, like Chip Rank. Good get...

2 more to go!
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Go Gophs eh?

UNI is a great place for Marvin, however he isn't a gaurd, or small forward although he can get there in time. He is actually a PF. Before you say, well yea but he is only 6'5, think Draymond Green. This kid dominates kids in the post and is probably closer to 220-230 lbs. Strong, Athletic, great footwork/hands, has a good shot from mid and deep, not great. rebounds, hustles, plays great D, in the HP he mans up Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe without any problem. Great land UNI

Last edited by Go Gophs eh?; 07-05-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Go Gophs eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Yeah, I guess I see him as a 3 that can play the 4 if needed (kind of like Kerwin Dunham does sometimes, but Marvin is obviously much stronger at similar stages in their careers). I think Marvin's jumper will improve, but for now he offers UNI some increased athleticism on the wing (as UNI plays a 3 guard lineup) with this strength and ability to get to the paint, but who can also body up in the paint if necessary. He's just a different dimension at this point in time as compared to any of the other guys on the last couple years' teams. Erik Crawford played in the post when he was at Tartan HS, and we saw his jumper continue to develop over his years at UNI. The same, I believe, will happen with Marvin.

Thanks for the info though Go Gophs! Hopkins seems to be loaded. Who is the best player right now on that team?
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Great news.

Welcome to UNI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Kyle

An athletic 6'5" guard is something UNI doesn't come across very often. I'm really glad we were able to get him to sign early. It seems as though lately we have a lot of recruits blow up during their senior year and a couple high majors come knocking at the last second.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=996

http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsin/ba...ngleton-104500

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...ruitId%3d77695

Quote:
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
Go Gophs eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Yeah, I guess I see him as a 3 that can play the 4 if needed (kind of like Kerwin Dunham does sometimes, but Marvin is obviously much stronger at similar stages in their careers). I think Marvin's jumper will improve, but for now he offers UNI some increased athleticism on the wing (as UNI plays a 3 guard lineup) with this strength and ability to get to the paint, but who can also body up in the paint if necessary. He's just a different dimension at this point in time as compared to any of the other guys on the last couple years' teams. Erik Crawford played in the post when he was at Tartan HS, and we saw his jumper continue to develop over his years at UNI. The same, I believe, will happen with Marvin.

Thanks for the info though Go Gophs! Hopkins seems to be loaded. Who is the best player right now on that team?
ESPN top 100 SG Joe Coleman would be the best, Rivals ranked their class of 2012 PG Siyani Chambers in the top 100 as well. With luck the gophs will land both of them. UNI should look at SG/SF Marquel Curtis for another great get, as a junior at Armstrong High School he averaged 22 points, 11 rebs a game showing up players in the same conference like Hopkins, Minnetonka and Wayzata
Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
casbern
Purple for Life

Awesome! Can't wait to see him in Panther purple and gold!

casbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
lakesbison

wow, marvin went to UNI. im shocked, hopkins is stacked, coleman is a beast, Royce White, Mbake all been great players, NDSU has Hopkins PG Marcus Williams playing this year, that team 2 years ago with all of these players were hands down the best minnesota state team ever.
UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com
lakesbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Go Gophs eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
wow, marvin went to UNI. im shocked, hopkins is stacked, coleman is a beast, Royce White, Mbake all been great players, NDSU has Hopkins PG Marcus Williams playing this year, that team 2 years ago with all of these players were hands down the best minnesota state team ever.
its mbakwe, and he never played at hopkins, and yea that team was stacked, williams was the worst of the starting 5.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
UNI83
Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
Why are you shocked he came to UNI?

It's not like we are a bottom 1/3 D1 team with one flash in the pan season where we got to the NCAA's. We have been to the S16, won back to back conference (regular season and conference titles) and have 6 tourney appearances in the last decade. We also have had a lot of success recruiting Minnesota...mostly Tartan High School.
UNI83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Go Gophs eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNI83 View Post
Why are you shocked he came to UNI?

It's not like we are a bottom 1/3 D1 team with one flash in the pan season where we got to the NCAA's. We have been to the S16, won back to back conference (regular season and conference titles) and have 6 tourney appearances in the last decade. We also have had a lot of success recruiting Minnesota...mostly Tartan High School.
As a minnesota gophs fan i've always wondered why UNI recruited all these Tartan players. What is the deal with that pipeline? Coach friends with UNI or what?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
strike00

Quote:
As a minnesota gophs fan i've always wondered why UNI recruited all these Tartan players. What is the deal with that pipeline? Coach friends with UNI or what?
accept for the sophmore Sonnen, all of the Tartan players have been all-MVC, and Sonnen was a big part of the team as a Freshman, so that one school Pipeline has been very productive. I'm sure the coaches have a good relationship.

excited to see Singleton as a Panther.
strike00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
BCPanther
PN Crusader

One of our assistants, PJ Hogan, has some kind of connection with both Tartan and Howard Pulley. It has paid off BIG TIME for us the past decade...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
UNIpanther99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
One of our assistants, PJ Hogan, has some kind of connection with both Tartan and Howard Pulley. It has paid off BIG TIME for us the past decade...
It also helps us that the state of Minnesota has only one Division 1 program.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Go Gophs eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
It also helps us that the state of Minnesota has only one Division 1 program.
I wont doubt that, i really don't understand why we have just 1 when smaller states have 2 or 3, hell even Rhode Island has more than us. But this is why when my gophs fail I cheer for 2 teams in the tourney, UNI, and Michy state
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
UNI83
Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike00 View Post
accept for the sophmore Sonnen, all of the Tartan players have been all-MVC, and Sonnen was a big part of the team as a Freshman, so that one school Pipeline has been very productive. I'm sure the coaches have a good relationship.

Any time I see us targeting a Tartan player I pray he signs with us. I don't think we have gotten a bad one yet.

Eric Coleman would be the "most disappointing" just because of his lack of effort at times, but even still he put up about 12 and 8 for us.
UNI83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
Go Gophs eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike00 View Post

Im not saying they are mediocre players, I'm just saying there is more than 1 school to recruit out of than Tartan, and was wondering what the connection was. If you guys had an in with Hopkins you would be set for ever. They produce prolly 2 D-1 players every class, sometimes more.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Panther-Sheik

Hopefully this is the start of a trend
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #21
9YRPLAN

does Hopkins really produce two D-1 players every year?

or do other schools produce them and they magically end up playing for hopkins?
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Go Gophs eh?

Quote:
does Hopkins really produce two D-1 players every year?

or do other schools produce them and they magically end up playing for hopkins?
probably the latter.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Gophs,
UNI has recruited Minnesota hard. They had a verbal commit from Everette Pedescleaux in the fall of his senior year before deciding to play football...he played at Armstrong. And, if there is a kid at Armstrong that UNI likes, they will go after him! They are annuals at the team camps on campus. They have gotten Travis Brown (Richfield) and Drew Lundberg (Owatonna), in addition to commits from Jermain Davis (before backing out and heading to Iowa, then to Winona I believe), but Tartan has been the best school to get kids from. UNI has gone hard after guys like Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin), Ryan Amoroso (Marquette), Jordair Jett (SLU), and Sam Dower (Gonzaga) in recent years before other schools luring them away.

And, as stated PJ Hogan does alot of the recruiting at UNI, but give Kyle Green and Ben Johnson some big ups for having some very strong MN ties with both having gone to college in the Twin Cities area.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
CR Panther

Is this the 3-4 slasher we've been waiting for all these years? Great news. Can't wait to follow his senior year.

Welcome aboard Marvin!
CR Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
9YRPLAN

from rivals:

With 30 seconds left Hopkins isolates Marvin on the wing and he breaks down Heysse attacking quickly right. Marvin didn't finish the bucket but he made two free throws as he was hacked. Marvin has the demeanor you love on the floor rarely changing expression regardless of what's going on. He's all business both on the floor and off as you remember this young man is getting Ivy League interest in addition to other colleges looking at him. Can you imagine his athletic ability in the IVY? Or how about on the football field? If he suited up on the football field next year I guarantee he would have numerous college coaches there just to see what he could do because the combo of his physique and athletic ability is amazing at this age. Can you imagine him pursuing you at linebacker or defensive end? I'm scared already …
Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
Back2BackCats

Quote:
Gophs,
UNI has recruited Minnesota hard. They had a verbal commit from Everette Pedescleaux in the fall of his senior year before deciding to play football...he played at Armstrong. And, if there is a kid at Armstrong that UNI likes, they will go after him! They are annuals at the team camps on campus. They have gotten Travis Brown (Richfield) and Drew Lundberg (Owatonna), in addition to commits from Jermain Davis (before backing out and heading to Iowa, then to Winona I believe), but Tartan has been the best school to get kids from. UNI has gone hard after guys like Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin), Ryan Amoroso (Marquette), Jordair Jett (SLU), and Sam Dower (Gonzaga) in recent years before other schools luring them away.

And, as stated PJ Hogan does alot of the recruiting at UNI, but give Kyle Green and Ben Johnson some big ups for having some very strong MN ties with both having gone to college in the Twin Cities area.
PTTB - J Davis is actually at Minnesota State in Mankato. He had a pretty good year last year on a very good team - 12.7 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.7 assists.
Back2BackCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #27
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Thanks B2B. I couldn't exactly remember where he went. I knew it was one of those two Minnesota powers. He should have exhausted his eligibility now, right?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #28
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://twitter.com/tchoopsczar/status/18408687521

Quote:
Howard Pulley Blue goes 1-1 on day 1 at Peach Jam, 65-63 loss to AL Challenge. Singleton 22/11, Coleman 21 after 32+11 in 1st game
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
casbern
Purple for Life

Anyone have any news on Jake White or Paul Jeperson? Last I heard they were still considering UNI, along with Oglesby and Uthoff.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #30
9YRPLAN

iowa offered jesperson a couple days ago...thats about all i have heard.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #31
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://twitter.com/collegebbnews/status/20081274372

Quote:
Marvin Singleton, who recently committed to Northern Iowa, suffered a high ankle sprain at Pacesetter. He could miss as much as two months.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #32
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Get better soon Marvin!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #33
casbern
Purple for Life

Quote:
Get better soon Marvin!
this.

kaboom.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #34
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://weeklynews.com/main.asp?Secti...ArticleID=8030
Quote:
Singleton added 15 points on 7-of-19 from the field and added eight rebounds.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #35
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2010/12/...ontent=Twitter

Several mentions of Marvin, but here is one at the end.

Quote:
For Hopkins, Marvin Singleton 22 points and just too strong. Demetrius Martin came up big with 4 3s and 18 points. Joe Coleman 17 points on 6-16 shooting with 1-4 on actual jump shots. That's 3-10 on jumpers in the 2 Hopkins games I've watched in person this season. He easily could have had 25 as he went 5-12 on chip shots. Their experience really showed in making critical plays. The offensive glass was a major factor in this one too. Against the 4 guard lineup, Hopkins took advantage with Stahl and Singleton. Hopkins is now 4-0 and hosts St. Louis Park on Tuesday. Then its off to the Best Buy Holiday Tournament at Augsburg for a possible showdowns with Minnesota Transitions and St. Paul Johnson.