Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes

Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes A forum to debate all of the in state rivalries

Old 09-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
sivert

Default NDSU vs. UofIowa

Tied 14-14 in the 3rd quarter.
I'm having trouble figuring out who to root against in this game.
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Default Re: NDSU vs. UofIowa

21-20, in the 4th, NDSU going for 2. I mean another strong, undefeated year by the Hawks is a lot better for UNI recruiting than another strong, undefeated year from NDSU.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
sivert

Hahhahahahahhaah
Old 09-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
UNIDebo

I thought Iowa always blocks last minute MVFC kicks.

Guess not, gotta beat these guys in the Dome.
UNIDebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
havok58

Yet another thing NDSU does that UNI can't.

Good game by NDSU though, way to not play for OT and go for the win. Defense holds, great rushing game, great play calling and it pays off.
havok58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther-state View Post
21-20, in the 4th, NDSU going for 2. I mean another strong, undefeated year by the Hawks is a lot better for UNI recruiting than another strong, undefeated year from NDSU.
There wasn't going to be an undefeated year from the Hawks either way.
This just makes a UNI win in October that much more satisfying.

I'm just worried about Barta/Ferentz getting cold feet after this and buying out UNI's 2018 game with them
vbfan19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
'70 Grad

I was torn, but at first I wanted the Hawks to win - wanted us to be the first to win at Kinnick. As the game went on I was rooting green - they deserved it. Will have to enlighten the Iowa fans that we had to play in Fargo TWICE last year - and gave them some of their closest games.

Break up the Bison!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Old Kirk has been resurrected, only with $50m

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Mountain Panther
Denver Socialite

Send a message via Yahoo to Mountain Panther

Tied as second biggest FBS upset, along with James Madison over #13 VT in 2010. Number 1 of course Appy St over #5 Michigan.
Mountain Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
sivert

Maybe the most impressive part of that win was that a lot of NDSU 's drives were plain vanilla runs. The NDSU line just pushed the Iowa line around.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
havok58

Are the SOS rankings so skewed that an FBS school who loses to a top ranked or highly ranked FCS school hurts them more than an FBS school losing to an unranked Sun Belt-type conference school?

What is worse for the Big 10 conference: Iowa losing to NDSU, or Wisconsin struggling against Georgia State. Or if they had lost, is that considered a "better" loss since they are an FBS school?
Old 09-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
domedays

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
Maybe the most impressive part of that win was that a lot of NDSU 's drives were plain vanilla runs. The NDSU line just pushed the Iowa line around.
This. NDSU was just the stronger, better team at the end of the game. No way for Hawk fan to blame it on turnovers or fluke plays. They just got beat.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Sagarin rankings heading into this week:

Iowa- 13
Toledo- 39
Western Michigan- 47
W.Kentucky- 54
NDSU- 67
Central Michigan- 73
UNI- 88
SDSU- 91
Ohio- 92
Youngstown- 93
Illinois State- 97
Eastern Washington- 99
Western Illinois- 102
Iowa State- 104
Northern Illinois-107
Arkansas State- 108
Bowling Green-109
Miami OH- 135
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
UNIDebo

But the good news for Iowa is the BIG 10 West is much easier too win that the MVCF
UNIDebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
Blue42

Rushing yards 239-35. Hawks got dominated at the line.

Same thing UNI did to the Clones.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #16
Mudrafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
There wasn't going to be an undefeated year from the Hawks either way.
This just makes a UNI win in October that much more satisfying.

I'm just worried about Barta/Ferentz getting cold feet after this and buying out UNI's 2018 game with them
That would be a great thing as you get the check without playing and then find another payday. It is the best thing that can happen.
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #17
Mudrafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedays View Post
This. NDSU was just the stronger, better team at the end of the game. No way for Hawk fan to blame it on turnovers or fluke plays. They just got beat.
They are already whining and gnashing teeth like the times we beat them in the Dome. They are in the "take our ball and go home"....never schedule FCS....schedule every sun belt and Mac team mode.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Mudrafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok58 View Post
Are the SOS rankings so skewed that an FBS school who loses to a top ranked or highly ranked FCS school hurts them more than an FBS school losing to an unranked Sun Belt-type conference school?

What is worse for the Big 10 conference: Iowa losing to NDSU, or Wisconsin struggling against Georgia State. Or if they had lost, is that considered a "better" loss since they are an FBS school?
Why does this matter? This loser thought process gets incredibly tiring. Great teams schedule great teams (home and away) and win. If you don't then you weren't good enough. Iowa fans think avoiding teams and playing tomato cans makes you a great team when in reality, it is the equivalent to watching PBS until Jan 1 when the real world shows up to reveal there is no mr Rogers afterall
Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #19
unicheer

Sorry if this has come up in another forum, but like... this is another great time to ask when NDSU will get the callup to FBS?... could be an addition to the Mountain West maybe?... Heck, put them in the Big Ten! They could be a contender in the West for sure.
unicheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrafan View Post
That would be a great thing as you get the check without playing and then find another payday. It is the best thing that can happen.
Exactly. Get 2 checks for one game essentially. Can't beat that.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #21
Codytwo

At some point an FCS team is going to crack the FBS top 25. NDSU definitely deserves some votes. Considering that they're the 5-time defending FCS champs, are currently undefeated, and beat the #13 team in the country, I don't see why it couldn't happen this week.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. If they had received some top 25 votes going into this week and/or had blown out their previous two opponents and Iowa, then there would be more of a case for it to happen.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #22
vbfan19

I could see enough voters giving NDSU votes as a one-time thing for them to crack the top 25 this week only. Then going back to their normal voting the rest of the year.
vbfan19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
havok58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrafan View Post
Why does this matter? This loser thought process gets incredibly tiring. Great teams schedule great teams (home and away) and win. If you don't then you weren't good enough. Iowa fans think avoiding teams and playing tomato cans makes you a great team when in reality, it is the equivalent to watching PBS until Jan 1 when the real world shows up to reveal there is no mr Rogers afterall
It shouldn't matter. I agree with your assessment. I was just wondering why FBS schools like Iowa will not schedule FCS schools by claiming it will hurt their playoff SOS and then the added stigma of possibly losing to an FCS school. Whereas some of the FCS schools may actually help that SOS compared to playing a lower tier FBS school. And losing to a lower tiered school would be more shocking than losing to a UNI or NDSU. Like you said, great teams schedule great teams and hopefully win those games.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #24
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Send a message via AIM to TravelingPanther

NDSU 27Th in AP poll
Old 09-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #25
Codytwo

I dislike Iowa quite a bit, but I don't think they should've fallen out of the top 25 with that loss. The drop from 13th to unranked is quite telling of how the FBS thinks that the best team in FCS is far inferior to any and all FBS teams.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #26
havok58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
I dislike Iowa quite a bit, but I don't think they should've fallen out of the top 25 with that loss. The drop from 13th to unranked is quite telling of how the FBS thinks that the best team in FCS is far inferior to any and all FBS teams.
I don't think that at all. Look at Oklahoma, they fell from 14th to 25th after getting beat by the 3rd ranked (now #2) team Ohio State. Texas fell 10 spots after losing to Cal. Notre Dame and Oregon also fell out of the top 25 and are behind NDSU in points. I think NDSU is getting some respect in the polls.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #27
Mudrafan

Quote:
It shouldn't matter. I agree with your assessment. I was just wondering why FBS schools like Iowa will not schedule FCS schools by claiming it will hurt their playoff SOS and then the added stigma of possibly losing to an FCS school. Whereas some of the FCS schools may actually help that SOS compared to playing a lower tier FBS school. And losing to a lower tiered school would be more shocking than losing to a UNI or NDSU. Like you said, great teams schedule great teams and hopefully win those games.
Cause they are too busy believing the media machine
Old 09-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #28
SteinPizza

Quote:
While I think that the talent level difference amongst the top 5 or so FBS teams and the top 15 to 25 or so FCS teams is less than many realize, Iowa should've dropped. They played two crap teams (especially ISU), but were recognized as a trending upward team prior to this. They're getting slammed for being way overhyped. That's not a slight at NDSU, it's more of a slam of Iowa.
SteinPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #29
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIDebo View Post
gotta beat these guys in the Dome.

Yes indeed. This will make UNI the clear winner of the State of Iowa Cup.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #30
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:

I agree. This is too big of a drop. Iowa didn't look bad. In fact, I would argue that they played about as well as in most games during the season last year. It was just that NDSU play a little better, especially when it counted. I wonder how many voters actually watched anything other than highlights of the game.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #31
havok58

I think some of the voters watched the game. I'm pretty sure none of the voters watch all of the games unless they are the prime time games. Iowa rushed for only 34 yards in this game, hardly a good offensive effort. But that is due to the Bisons defense.

That's the beauty and madness of the polls. They are just opinions. That's why to me the pre-season Top 25 means nothing. They make it difficult for unranked teams to move up the standings because the pre-season favorites are still there, even though they may be over-rated. As was in the case for Iowa.

Just curious to know if you think Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Texas deserved to fall as far as they did.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #32
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
I agree. This is too big of a drop. Iowa didn't look bad. In fact, I would argue that they played about as well as in most games during the season last year. It was just that NDSU play a little better, especially when it counted. I wonder how many voters actually watched anything other than highlights of the game.
Iowa did look bad. Their team last year overachieved, but they were pretty stout against the run. Saturday's second half, not so much. If you combine an instensity advantage for NDSU with a lack of defensive execution for Iowa, there you go. Iowa has better overall talent than NDSU, but the gap is narrow enough that a team like Iowa can't afford to let down. If they don't have something close to their A game, they'll get stung.
SteinPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #33
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Just curious to know if you think Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Texas deserved to fall as far as they did.

No, I think Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Texas shouldn't have fallen as far either. Of course, I understand that there are consequences for two losses, but I'm not convinced that these teams are worse than Utah, San Diego State, Georgia, Miami FL, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, TCU, or North Dakota State.

How many of you would place a wager on Iowa, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Texas all finishing the season ranked lower than Utah, San Diego State, Miami FL, and North Dakota State? Not me.