WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDSU to play at Target Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU to play at Target Field?

Originally posted by FargoPanther View Post
    Disappointed UNI isn't the opponent. The State of Iowa and UNI are missing growth potential in not offering reciprocity for Minnesota. NDSU enrollment is approaching around 30% from the Twin Cities area and this probably won't hurt.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/414350...ee6tj4.twitter
    Have whomever makes the decision ever considered or even had reciprocity with other states for Iowa Regent schools? Does anyone *know* if it may be applied to only one school or does it need to be applied across all?

Just curious.
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
      Have whomever makes the decision ever considered or even had reciprocity with other states for Iowa Regent schools? Does anyone *know* if it may be applied to only one school or does it need to be applied across all?

Just curious.
      Can you rephrase? I'm not following what you are asking?

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Comment

Just curious.
        Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
        Can you rephrase? I'm not following what you are asking?

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3
        Sorry.

Asking if anyone knows if reciprocity with other states has ever happened or been seriously considered.

And, can those who actually make the decision apply it to only one school in the state or does it need to be all-or-nothing?

Which prompts the question of who has the authority to create reciprocity agreements for Iowa with other states? I know in Minnesota, the governor can actually halt an agreement (T-Paw did this in 2009, with Wisconsin) but don't know who can make the call to start it.

Comment

I think the primary idea would start with the relevant institution and would have to be approved by regents. The state legislature and governor would likely need to sign off on whatever is proposed, especially if there is an expectation in state government funds being used (which is more than likely the case).

I wouldn't expect this to ever happen, unless there is some sort of structural change to state's budgetary resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
            I think the primary idea would start with the relevant institution and would have to be approved by regents. The state legislature and governor would likely need to sign off on whatever is proposed, especially if there is an expectation in state government funds being used (which is more than likely the case).

I wouldn't expect this to ever happen, unless there is some sort of structural change to state's budgetary resources.
            It is part of the budget for Minnesota, so the leg gets involved at some point here once it is in place (we have it with Wisc, ND, SD and Manitoba plus a limited agreement with Iowa Lakes CC (so that answers my followup).

Comment

Sorry.

Asking if anyone knows if reciprocity with other states has ever happened or been seriously considered.

And, can those who actually make the decision apply it to only one school in the state or does it need to be all-or-nothing?

Which prompts the question of who has the authority to create reciprocity agreements for Iowa with other states? I know in Minnesota, the governor can actually halt an agreement (T-Paw did this in 2009, with Wisconsin) but don't know who can make the call to start it.
              Iowa and Iowa state would never go for it. They get too many out of state students for higher tuition and won't give that up.

Comment

It is part of the budget for Minnesota, so the leg gets involved at some point here once it is in place (we have it with Wisc, ND, SD and Manitoba plus a limited agreement with Iowa Lakes CC (so that answers my followup).
                For ND it includes MN, SD and MT. For a border city with a low unemployment rate, it's a great retention tool. It's one way how Fargo metro has gone from 154k in 1990 to 234k today. It's worth the investment to retain talent and future entrepreneurs. Ron, what numbers are you seeing on the Minnesota side? The State of Iowa needs to stop doing development like it's 1986 by chasing smokestacks and look at reciprocity as a took to grow the state from within.

Comment

NDSU is around 50% Minnesotan. i love the idea of this game, hate the opponent!! and hate the facts that our ndsu admin is conceding that we wont be FBS in freaking 2019...yet this is a show case for a FBS conference that we can get 40,000 ndsu fans to a neutral Site game
                  UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by FargoPanther View Post
                    For ND it includes MN, SD and MT. For a border city with a low unemployment rate, it's a great retention tool. It's one way how Fargo metro has gone from 154k in 1990 to 234k today. It's worth the investment to retain talent and future entrepreneurs. Ron, what numbers are you seeing on the Minnesota side? The State of Iowa needs to stop doing development like it's 1986 by chasing smokestacks and look at reciprocity as a took to grow the state from within.
                    From what I found, there are two types of agreements used here. The agreement with Wisconsin and South Dakota is different than the one with North Dakota and participating schools in Iowa and Manitoba.

The short of it, numbers-wise, is ...

For Fall of '14, Minnesota had 42+k students going outside the state under reciprocity and 28+k coming in under reciprocity; 99 percent under the ND, Wisc and SD agreements and 95 percent being undergrads.

The breakdown for that Fall of 2014, under reciprocity agreements:

- Just over 14k Minnesota residents went to Wisc schools/about 8500 Wisc residents went to MN schools;

- Just over 11k MN residents went to ND schools/about 4500 ND residents went to MN schools;

- Just over 3300 MN residents went to SD schools/about 1200 SD residents went to MN schools;

Manitoba and Iowa Lakes are too small to mention.

What is really interesting (to me, anyway) is that 79 percent of Minnesota residents who do this enroll in a school with 50 miles of the border and 77 percent of the residents in other states do the same (again, for Fall '14). Cedar Falls is, what, 70-75 miles from the border?

Financially, for 2014-15, Minnesota has an outflow larger than the inflow which costs the state about $1 million out of the general fund overall to cover (based on the formulas in various agreements). Note that there have been years where MN generates net revenue across the agreements - the peak being about $10 million in 2005-06 - but most years going back to '75-'76, it has been a net loss, meaning that the difference comes out of the MN general fund.

This is all here (with pretty charts, too):

Comment

Working...
                    X