WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDSU Wentz Possible #1 Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Wentz Possible #1 Pick

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
    Why does BV bother banning you as Lakes, but not the other username that everyone knows is you?
    A ban is kind of like a "neutering". Admins can tell if it's still the same poster so they likely have little issue letting them "back on board" (no pun intended) if the behavior is toned down. At some point they'd likely just stop approving the same IP Address.

Or maybe they don't and its basically pointless to ban someone in the first place. I'm mostly just pulling that out of my *** (as usual)

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
      I don't mind talk about Wentz on here. He is a good athlete. And it isn't like we are chock full of other lively discussion this time of year.

However, draft position in itself never impresses me. If a player is drafted high, and never really makes much of a contribution, then it ends up being negative publicity for the conference and subdivision. But if he can have some success in the league (regardless of where he ends up being drafted), then that is awesome.
      Any negativity on a busted draft pick is far worse on the team that picked him, and the guys who made the decision. There's some on the player too, but his school and conference almost never enter in to it.

Comment

Can we honestly say that David Johnson's success last year has really had a significant impact on the perception of the MVFC?

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
          Can we honestly say that David Johnson's success last year has really had a significant impact on the perception of the MVFC?
          I would guess that most people don't know and don't care. The run of the mill fan isn't really going to change their perception of a school/conference/subdivision that they don't otherwise care about just because of what one (or a handful) of its alumni have done.

But I could definitely see NFL teams/scouts perhaps being more open-minded in regards to giving guys from UNI/the MVFC/FCS a shot. (nothing guaranteed, of course, but every little bit helps). And frankly, I feel that is worth more than the opinion of Joe Schmo football fan whose opinions are mostly shaped by what they are spoonfed by the talking heads on TV anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
            I would think so. David Johnson went 3rd round. Every NFL team picked two or three guys when David Johnson was still available. How many of them would swap one of those picks for DJ if they could?
            I think Carson W should be glad that David has everyone wondering.

Comment

I would guess that most people don't know and don't care. The run of the mill fan isn't really going to change their perception of a school/conference/subdivision that they don't otherwise care about just because of what one (or a handful) of its alumni have done.

But I could definitely see NFL teams/scouts perhaps being more open-minded in regards to giving guys from UNI/the MVFC/FCS a shot. (nothing guaranteed, of course, but every little bit helps). And frankly, I feel that is worth more than the opinion of Joe Schmo football fan whose opinions are mostly shaped by what they are spoonfed by the talking heads on TV anyway.
              Every applicable UNI guy is already getting a shot. Scouts from all the teams cover UNI, watch our game films, attend games, stay in contact with the coaches, etc. Nobody good enough to play at that level hasn't gotten a look. They haven't made it because they weren't good enough. End of story. That's nothing against anybody who's played, it's just reality.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                Every applicable UNI guy is already getting a shot. Scouts from all the teams cover UNI, watch our game films, attend games, stay in contact with the coaches, etc. Nobody good enough to play at that level hasn't gotten a look. They haven't made it because they weren't good enough. End of story. That's nothing against anybody who's played, it's just reality.
                Mostly true.

Having a guy like DJ gets other guys looks that may not have gotten looks. Xavier got a lot more eyes on him simply because he was on the same team as DJ. Read some scouts who specialize in small schools - Dorleant likely went from undrafted to probably drafted because teams sent guys to watch Hall and got to see him. Kilfoy moved from not on a lot of radars to a potential priority free agent

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                  Mostly true.

Having a guy like DJ gets other guys looks that may not have gotten looks. Xavier got a lot more eyes on him simply because he was on the same team as DJ. Read some scouts who specialize in small schools - Dorleant likely went from undrafted to probably drafted because teams sent guys to watch Hall and got to see him. Kilfoy moved from not on a lot of radars to a potential priority free agent
                  Both Kilfoy and Dorleant were already known. What got some notice for Dorleant was running a great 40 and doing well in the agility drills at UNI's pro day. I doubt he's drafted, but he got some notice. Sometimes that's all you need. Kilroy was on some radars heading in to last season. Being a small school, having Hall get a lot of looks certainly doesn't hurt, I'll give you that. But, it's not like they were undiscovered. Also, the teams I know of don't assign scouts by program size, it's primarily geographical. The same guy who scouted Iowa for the Bears also had UNI as an example. Some teams could be different, but ultimately you're judging guys by the peers in their draft class.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                    Agreed. We were talking about Wentz on another message board and someone made the point that he was an unknown until the draft talk began. I said that while he was unknown to the average fan, any scout or exec worth his salt knew about him even though he wasn't on national TV every week. If you're good enough, you're going to get noticed no matter what level you play.
                    "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                      Agreed. We were talking about Wentz on another message board and someone made the point that he was an unknown until the draft talk began. I said that while he was unknown to the average fan, any scout or exec worth his salt knew about him even though he wasn't on national TV every week. If you're good enough, you're going to get noticed no matter what level you play.
                      Not to mention that the majority (if not all) of his games could be pulled up on ESPN3's archives for any scout or exec to review if they have an interest.

Same goes for UNI's games/players.

Comment

Not to mention that the majority (if not all) of his games could be pulled up on ESPN3's archives for any scout or exec to review if they have an interest.

Same goes for UNI's games/players.
                        In most cases it's game film from the schools themselves, or they're watching live. They guys I knew in that business put in huge amounts of travel, along with huge amounts of writing electronic reports, paperwork, watching film, etc.

Comment

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Comment

Good luck in Philly, Carson.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post
                              he's probably glad there weren't any snow/ice balls around.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                                The Rams gave away the store in order to obtain the #1 pick. Whoever they pick (likely Wentz or Goff from Cal), that guy will need to be mobile, because he will be running for his life most of the time.
                                Seems to be playing out as forecast, for both Wentz & Goff. Because the teams you are playing for stink, you're the top two picks. Hope you used some of that new fortune to buy long term disability insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                X