WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Props on landing Austin Pehl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully we haven't offered a full-ride just yet. He's tall, but not DI at this point in time. Maybe offer a "preferred walk-on", and if he improves bump him up?? Remember what a flop Adam Robinson from CF was in college; and he at least dominated a lot of games in high school...

Comment

I will be shocked if Pehl committed to anything less than a full ride. He is a junior and could easily have waited if a full offer is not on the table. I too have seen reports of lackluster play by him thus far this season, but he got some rave reviews for his play at a couple tournies this summer so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think he will be a solid player for the Panthers down the road.

Comment

Coach Jake is a great coach and he knows more about basketball talent evaluation than anybody on this board.

However, I have seen the kid play several times and am a bit puzzled by the early scholarship offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hime_Peterson View Post
          Coach Jake is a great coach and he knows more about basketball talent evaluation than anybody on this board.

However, I have seen the kid play several times and am a bit puzzled by the early scholarship offer.
          Does make ya wonder... I know you can't teach height, but we've done pretty well the last 3-4 seasons with all post players 6' 8" and under....

Comment

When Pehl is a freshman, here are the guys in front of him.

7'1" Eglseder (Junior)
            6'10" Barz (Soph or RS Freshman)
            6'8" Koch (Junior)
            6'7" O'Rear (Soph or RS Freshman)

That means that Pehl has two years of solid development within the UNI system before really being asked to contribute. It's true that Pehl hasn't had a super year, but the coaching staff sees some things in him that they believe they can improve upon. Jake and his staff get the most out of each of their players...there is a premium on player development. With 6'9"/6'10" height, good footwork, and a strong desire to play the game and get better...while having 3 years from now before really being called to play a significant role, it's probably a risk and a position where UNI has some luxury to develop a project. At UNI, they as a staff (and we as fans) want to see Iowa HS kids stay in-state and go to UNI if they can help the team. This is just another example of that philosophy.

If there is one area that UNI has really created a stronghold on player development, it's in the post. From Gruber to Schneids to Coleman to Stout, etc...players have gotten better at the post position under the current regime. This is a good thing, IMO, b/c it allows the coaching staff to start concentrating on recruiting bigs in the 2009 class and REALLY get a leg up on the competition.
            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

[QUOTE=Panthers to the Bone;67713] At UNI, they as a staff (and we as fans) want to see Iowa HS kids stay in-state and go to UNI if they can help the team. This is just another example of that philosophy.QUOTE]

I wonder how many CF High Bball fans will pay more attention/cheer for the Panthers just to root for their hometown boy? I wonder how many of those new fans would normally have just paid attention to Squawkeye basketball? I realize that's not the only reason to recruit a guy, but it sure is a neat bonus.

Comment

this is a good pickup, ive talked to pehl and hes a smart guy and has talked with stanford and im glad he picked the hometown team

Comment

From what I hear the kid is a really poor rebounder and not physical at all which worries me. Any truth to that?

Comment

LB - If you are asking if he is ready to start at the D1 level his freshman year, the answer is probably not. There are few big kids who can contribute their freshman year. I don't think anyone on this board knows how to evaluate players like the coaching staff. They apparently see some upside to him. He has good size and you can't teach that...
                    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

as one who works with Pehl at CF from time to time during practices...I don't know what his deal is.

During post/guard workouts, he does his post moves and i use a football hitting bag to give him contact and he hits ya hard, and clears space and goes in for the dunk. He is a lot like Coleman and gets frusterated easily if he misses a bunny. He has speed to get up and down the court as a post, but i dont understand his play during games. He doesn't seem as aggressive as in practice and kinda runs through the motions. Hopefully he can be developed more at UNI.

Report Card for Austin Pehl IMO

Tenacity--C-
                      Rebounding-B-
                      Defense-C+/B-
                      Aggressiveness-B
                      Offensive Awareness-A-

Overall-B or B-
                      Career (3 sport) Coaching Record: 50-3
                      the Future coach of the Depaul Blue Demons

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                        He has good size and you can't teach that...
                        I'm not a big believer in that, btw. But yeah, I have no problem in a kid that will be a developmental player, I'm just asking if he gets developed will he be a contributer or another Atillos Santos? But I imagine it'll help being with Coach Slykhuis (who I know fairly well) will help a lot in his development.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBall42 View Post
                          But I imagine it'll help being with Coach Slykhuis will help a lot in his development.
                          That is the first time I have ever heard anybody use this statement...
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by LongBall42 View Post
                            I'm not a big believer in that, btw. But yeah, I have no problem in a kid that will be a developmental player, I'm just asking if he gets developed will he be a contributer or another Atillos Santos? But I imagine it'll help being with Coach Slykhuis (who I know fairly well) will help a lot in his development.
                            Jerry Slykhuis is the single reason that Cedar Falls does not have a half dozen State Championship and/or Runner-Up banners for boy's basketball hanging from the rafters. From what I hear, several talented players a year do not go out for varsity basketball due to his being on the sidelines. Countless others drop out during junior high and early high school. Nice guy, bad coach.

Comment

"knods head in agreement of truth"
                              Career (3 sport) Coaching Record: 50-3
                              the Future coach of the Depaul Blue Demons

Comment

Just my opinion, but how often does CF, or even the state of Iowa produce someone 6'10" w/ some game who could grow more if he's only a junior. If UNI doesnt sign him early and take a chance he could go somewhere else and then everyone on this board would be bashing Jake because he didnt sign someone 2 minutes from campus and let them go to ISU or even a Valley rival. Its been a complaint in the past about Iowa schools not being able to keep players in the state, mostly just keep them from going to KU. Remember Paul Miller from Wichita State was horrible when he first started college and ended up player of the year. Not that this will be the case, but Jake and the other coaches must see an upside or they wouldnt be signing him as a junior.

Comment

Working...
                                X