WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big 12 will not expand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12 will not expand

Our (and Iowa's) old AD is getting a lot of criticism for this.

"And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Re: Big 12 will not expand

I guarantee if he could do it over, Bowlsby never takes that job. He's getting all the heat while all the decisions are being made by the University Presidents, who are being led by nutjob David Boren.

The league is done, its just waiting for the end of its slow painful death.
    #MACtion

Comment

I can't wait to see the Big 12 disband. I'm very interested to see what will become of Kansas. While they have an elite basketball program, conference alignment is primarily driven by football. I can't imagine many conferences are interested in a football program that is so awful that their fans will rush the field when they beat an FCS opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
        . I can't imagine many conferences are interested in a football program that is so awful that their fans will rush the field when they beat an FCS opponent.
        Same can be said for Iowa State.

I continue to think that there will be separate conferences for football, basketball and other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
          Same can be said for Iowa State.

I continue to think that there will be separate conferences for football, basketball and other sports.
          I get your point, but there's a big difference between a nationally relevant basketball program and one of the blue bloods.

Comment

Maybe the new league want some new designated whipping boys... Iowa State's value proposition - we can help the league get more members bowl eligible.

Comment

IF the Big 12 breaks up Kansas ends up in the Big 10. They fit academically, bring great basketball and deliver the Kansas City market. That's enough.
              #MACtion

Comment

Jamie Pollard on the Big 12: "Without Texas and Oklahoma in the room, we're the Mountain West":

Comment

I can't believe they didn't invite North Dakota State.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan View Post
                    I can't believe they didn't invite North Dakota State.
                    I think NDSU is in the process of starting their own conference and beginning on the first of the year the Bison Network will launch.

Most experts are predicting that it will take until approximately February 9th, 2017 for the Bison Network to put each of the following networks out of business:
                    - Big Ten Network
                    - CBS Sports Network
                    - The Weather Channel
                    - ESPN
                    - ESPN Deportes
                    - CFU Public Access
                    - MLB Network
                    - The Playboy Channel
                    - Pac-12 Network
                    - Longhorn Network

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                      Jamie Pollard on the Big 12: "Without Texas and Oklahoma in the room, we're the Mountain West":
                      There's a good Randy Peterson column in today's DMR which says basically the same thing. All it would take would be for Texas or Oklahoma to leave, and the league collapses. They may have too much clout to leave their current set up, but you never know. Peterson seems to say he thinks the league is stable for a few years, until their charter expires in 2024. After that, the lack of expansion leaves the whole thing pretty shaky.

Peterson also pointed out that lack of expansion was generally bad for ISU football, as it means they play the league's tough teams every year, and makes it harder to reach the six win bowl metric.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                        Peterson also pointed out that lack of expansion was generally bad for ISU football, as it means they play the league's tough teams every year, and makes it harder to reach the six win bowl metric.
                        Has it been good for them financially? TEX brings a lot of money to the table. Even if they did go to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, it can't make that much - if any- for them.

I don't know why TEX would want to leave. If they go elsewhere the Longhorn Network is dead. They are just another team that gets a share of the money.
                        "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                          Has it been good for them financially? TEX brings a lot of money to the table. Even if they did go to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, it can't make that much - if any- for them.

I don't know why TEX would want to leave. If they go elsewhere the Longhorn Network is dead. They are just another team that gets a share of the money.
                          I read something interesting that said that Texas is the only sought after, marketable school in the group. Their brand has by far the most clout. As such, they'll have the other, stronger conferences throwing piles of money at them. This same thing said Oklahoma is wise to stay, since it's probably the best deal they could get.

Comment

Have any FBS football programs ever dropped down to FCS? Why couldn't Iowa State and Kansas have a similar set up as UNI...FCS football with a strong, competitive Division I basketball team?

Comment

Originally posted by BleedPurple View Post
                              Have any FBS football programs ever dropped down to FCS? Why couldn't Iowa State and Kansas have a similar set up as UNI...FCS football with a strong, competitive Division I basketball team?
                              Because they'd end up in a no revenue conference, and revenue is what this is all about. The Big 12 would rightfully kick them to the curb if they dropped to FCS football.

Comment

Working...
                              X