WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball season is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volleyball season is here!

Panther volleyball swept the Redbirds at Illinois State on Friday night (25-16 25-23 26-24). though it was a rather ugly match by both teams. Lots of errors.

Tonight, UNI travelled to Indiana State. Got a bit of a slow start, with the Sycamores keeping it close at the beginning of the first set (think it was tied at 10), but UNI took control the rest of the match, sweeping the trees (25-14 25-9 25-12).

Next week, Panther volleyball faces it's first big challenge of the conference season, with Missouri State coming to the McLeod Center on Friday night, and Wichita State on Saturday after the football game.

The Bears and Shockers might not be quite as strong as they've been in previous years (though the Shockers do have some good wins in non-conference play), yet the Panthers aren't as strong as they've been the past couple seasons either.

And Saturday will likely be a late night, given that the football game won't kick off until 6:15 pm.

Comment

I wonder how well UNI will do on its own end of the net against those teams, obviously hoping for tonight's play to carry over if you believe in that sort of thing. ISU didn't do itself any favors tonight, but I think UNI clearly played its best overall match against the Sycamores. They hit .300+, got hands in ISU's faces at the net, and did really well on serve/receive.

Comment

Panther volleyball plays tonight (Tues.) in the McLeod as they step out of MVC play for their final non-conference match of the regular season. The South Dakota State Jackrabbits come to town for a 6 p.m. match.

SDSU sits at 12-7 on the year (4-4 in the Summit League). The only common opponent they share with UNI is Bradley. The Jacks dropped a 5 set match at home to the Braves, while the Panthers swept Bradley in Peoria.

Kristin Belzung, a UNI volleyball alum who played setter for the Panthers from 2004-08, is in her third season as assistant coach for SDSU.

Comment

UNI ranks 7th in the nation in volleyball attendance, according to the most recent release by the NCAA.

I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of the numbers there, as some schools may not have reported their figures, and others may have included "tournament" matches between two neutral-site teams that they hosted as part of the average. But anyway, still kind of neat.

Here is the top 10 from that list, as well as a few others I thought relevant.
          Code:
             Team 	Total	Matches	Avg. 
          1  Hawaii	74,229	11	6,748
          2  Nebraska	35,922	8	4,490
          3  Penn St.	24,709	7	3,530
          4  Wisconsin	22,665	7	3,238
          5  Minnesota	25,804	8	3,226
          6  Illinois	18,415	6	3,069
          [B][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]7  UNI  	8,862	3	2,954[/COLOR][/B]
          8  Florida	25,657	9	2,851
          9  Purdue	26,155	10	2,616
          10 Louisville	35,351	14	2,525

11 Wichita St.	17,362	7	2,480
          13 Iowa St.	16,666	7	2,381
          33 Creighton	10,438	9	1,160
          41 Illinois St.	5,294	5	1,059
          69 Iowa 	4,173	6	696

Comment

Missing pac 12
            "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Never mind im wrong...just clicked on link
              "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Still, very interesting. With the Pac-12 being one of, if not THE premier conference in college volleyball, their top school in attendance comes in at #16. And only 5 Pac-12 schools average over 1,000 fans per game.

Comment

UNI VB beat Evansville, but it sounds like they didn't play all that well.
                  Alas, I didn't make it back into town from a work trip in time to make the match, so I wasn't able to attend.

Did anyone here go, and did you get a poster? How do the VB posters look?

Comment

Posters are ok, although the actual pictures of the girls are just a bit strange. We did not play very well and seemed a bit off all match. Still, though, a win is a win.
                    TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Won 3-1. Struggled in the first two or three sets, but started out on an 8-0 run in the 4th. I really like the posters this year as well. Minus the void of schedules on the, this year, I think they've all been alright

Comment

It just wasn't a good start. Evansville came out easily more fired up. Finally corrected a few things and really leaned on Megan, Macy to get the job done.

Side note: Bradley forced 5 sets against SIU, our opponent tonight. Got a feeling both teams come out ready tonight after struggling some with weaker foes yesterday.

Comment

I read that megan and macy combined for 41 kills last night!

Comment

I might have to look into seeing if I can scrounge a volleyball poster somewhere. (or ask around the department to see if a donation to the VB program could score me one. hehe)

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                              I might have to look into seeing if I can scrounge a volleyball poster somewhere. (or ask around the department to see if a donation to the VB program could score me one. hehe)
                              ill keep an eye out for ya. my roommate does the music for games, so ill see if he can find any extras in the back

Comment

Good crowd at the volleyball match tonight. The official stats only list 2767, which isn't much higher than other nights. But it certainly seemed like a much bigger crowd. Perhaps it was just the case of more of the season ticket holders actually attending, or perhaps not everyone in attendance was counted for some reason or another.

But it was a fun crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X