WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-2012 Bigs in MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011-2012 Bigs in MVC

Ok.

04-05: Sweet 16
    05-06: Elite 8
    06-07: first round
    07-08: Sweet 16
    08-09: Final Four
    09-10: second round

How is Villanova a bad example of a primarily four guard line-up working? I think they're ok with those results. Maybe they could have won more. Don't get me wrong, the goal is always to win the next game, but I think they'll take those finishes. And four of their losses in those six years was to the eventual champion.
    Originally posted by rockybison
    You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post
      Ok.

04-05: Sweet 16
      05-06: Elite 8
      06-07: first round
      07-08: Sweet 16
      08-09: Final Four
      09-10: second round

How is Villanova a bad example of a primarily four guard line-up working? I think they're ok with those results. Maybe they could have won more. Don't get me wrong, the goal is always to win the next game, but I think they'll take those finishes. And four of their losses in those six years was to the eventual champion.
      I'll give you Villanova being an example of a 4 guard lineup working, Nova is located in Philadelphia one of the most talented rich cities in the nation, especially when it comes to guards.

I think the main point of whoever started this thread was that a talented big man can dominate the Valley, and the lack of a true post presence can hurt you dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
        I'll give you Villanova being an example of a 4 guard lineup working, Nova is located in Philadelphia one of the most talented rich cities in the nation, especially when it comes to guards.

I think the main point of whoever started this thread was that a talented big man can dominate the Valley, and the lack of a true post presence can hurt you dramatically.
        What's to say the Upper Midwest isn't as talent-rich as Philly? For what it's worth, I agree that post play is a big point of focus for us in the next two years, but a four guard lineup CAN work in the Valley if done properly. Of course, it helps if one of those guards is 6'9", 245 pounds, has great ballhandling skills and can shoot the three.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
        -Eldon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Wigim View Post
          What's to say the Upper Midwest isn't as talent-rich as Philly? For what it's worth, I agree that post play is a big point of focus for us in the next two years, but a four guard lineup CAN work in the Valley if done properly. Of course, it helps if one of those guards is 6'9", 245 pounds, has great ballhandling skills and can shoot the three.
          So Larry Bird?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

Ding, ding ding...we have a winner...

Comment

We don't have the players to run a 4 guard lineup and acheive the kind of success we all want. End of story.

Marc Sonnen is a tough kid, and probably our best returning defender. That said, If I'm the 4 on a good team, I'm salivating at the thought of him gaurding me all game. Sonnen has the ability to shut down, or severly curtail, the game of an opposing guard. He can't be realistically expected to get down low, mix it up, be physical, and shut down an opposing forward from a quality team.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                We don't have the players to run a 4 guard lineup and acheive the kind of success we all want. End of story.
                +1

I don't know why people keep suggesting this. We ran 4 guards every game since Luke went out and we lost 8 of 10. EIGHT.

Our guards are good, but we need good post players in our system both offensively and defensively.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

That's why it made little sense to have Pehl ride the bench. The season was over when sideburns went down. To not try & do all that we could to develop him for next yr made little sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                    That's why it made little sense to have Pehl ride the bench. The season was over when sideburns went down. To not try & do all that we could to develop him for next yr made little sense.
                    I agree with the "it made little sense for Pehl to ride the bench" part. It should've been obvious to Jake and staff that four gaurds wasn't going to get it done against good competition. Why have him start and play only 6 minutes a game? That said, you can't throw in the towel, especially when you're in the top 2 or 3 spots in the conference. You can't start playing Lange, Morrison a ton, etc., for next year. This year was still in the balance.

I'm just a little disappointed in the coaches that they couldn't get Pehl more ready (in their eyes) to play more meaningful minutes. I put that on the coaches, not the player. They should've recognized the potential depth problem they had early on.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      I'm just a little disappointed in the coaches that they couldn't get Pehl more ready (in their eyes) to play more meaningful minutes. I put that on the coaches, not the player. They should've recognized the potential depth problem they had early on.
                      Are you saying they should have recognized that Luke would eventually get hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Panthers 2010 View Post
                        Are you saying they should have recognized that Luke would eventually get hurt?
                        who said that? We are talking about after he got hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                          who said that? We are talking about after he got hurt.
                          I wasn't sure if he was talking before or after, because it is not like we had a whole lot of depth in the post when Luke was healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Panthers 2010 View Post
                            I wasn't sure if he was talking before or after, because it is not like we had a whole lot of depth in the post when Luke was healthy.
                            That's exactly my point, and I was talking before. They should have at least considered that an injury to O'Rear or Jake wasn't out of the question, and that Rank was an incoming freshman. It obviously wouldn't be a high priority, but get Pehl ready enough to contribute a bit in every game. If the worst case happens (which it did), then he's that much ahead of the game (sorry for the pun). What do you have to lose? If everyone stays healthy, you have more depth and another big body to throw at the opposition.

Again, this is mild criticism. It's like getting pissed at a football coach who didn't ready the 2nd string QB when the starter gets hurt. You don't like it, but you also realize it has to be a secondary consideration to the coach in the middle of a season. That's not much of a knock on our coaches, just mild frustration that things went south after one of the two players we absolutely had to have got hurt. The other was Kwazdo, and I'm guessing an injury to him would've been just as bad.

Comment

our football coaches have a very bad tendency to play the starting qb well after the "party is over" too. Oh well...wrong thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X