WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Guys, hate to say it, but I'm now in the AJ Green is going High Major camp. If he was coming here, there wouldn't be an active recruitment going on and he'd have committed.

Can't blame the kid, but man its going to sting...
    My sources have told me that Coach Green told AJ to play out all of his options and wait until he's sure before choosing a school. It doesn't rule out him coming to UNI, but also doesn't rule out him choosing another school.

Comment

We will be fine.

I'm at the point of barely even following recruiting anymore. Jake's gonna bring in good players and we are going to keep winning. Hopefully, AJ is a part of it.
      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
        We will be fine.

I'm at the point of barely even following recruiting anymore. Jake's gonna bring in good players and we are going to keep winning. Hopefully, AJ is a part of it.
        This was my point in a round-about way. We'll be fine, but I just don't think AJ is going to be a part of it. This program has become too good to be that reliant on getting any single recruit.
        #MACtion

Comment

We just offered Blake Brinkmeyer 2018 PF from DSM Valley. I just found the one tweet about him being around 6'7 currently. Otherwise hard to find much information on him including his high school stats from last year as he doesn't appear to be on the Valley's roster last year (transfer/injury maybe?)

Comment

He was probably playing with the Sophomore team last year if he's a 2018 class member

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
              He was probably playing with the Sophomore team last year if he's a 2018 class member
              Well yea. I think he was implying that it seems a little unusual for an Iowa HS player (outside of Barnes) to get a an offer without having played varsity basketball.

Comment

Yeah but coaches usually follow the AAU circuit much more closely than the HS season. Valley did win state last year with some very talented front and back court athletes so it's not like this kid was just some scrub. With about 3 or 4 potential PF's (by Iowa HS standards) it was probably in the best interest that this kid see more time and reps at lower level. Pretty sure the Tigers were extremely formidable at all levels last year .

Although as an employee and coach in the district I'm unfamiliar with this kid so I'm perplexed too. He'll certainly get Varsity mins this year as returning star PF Quinton Curry suffered a serious injury this summer and will miss all of the upcoming football and (probably) basketball season.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                  Yeah but coaches usually follow the AAU circuit much more closely than the HS season. Valley did win state last year with some very talented front and back court athletes so it's not like this kid was just some scrub. With about 3 or 4 potential PF's (by Iowa HS standards) it was probably in the best interest that this kid see more time and reps at lower level. Pretty sure the Tigers were extremely formidable at all levels last year .

Although as an employee and coach in the district I'm unfamiliar with this kid so I'm perplexed too. He'll certainly get Varsity mins this year as returning star PF Quinton Curry suffered a serious injury this summer and will miss all of the upcoming football and (probably) basketball season.
                  I did a quick look, and this Brinkmeyer kid didn't play in the state championship game vs. IC. Curry, however, was easily the best player on the floor that night. McCafrrey and Lohaus didn't do much, but Curry really stood out. At times he looked like a man against boys, and keep in mind he was only a JR at the time. I had not heard he was injured, that's really unfortunate. My understanding is he's a TE prospect in football too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                    I did a quick look, and this Brinkmeyer kid didn't play in the state championship game vs. IC. Curry, however, was easily the best player on the floor that night. McCafrrey and Lohaus didn't do much, but Curry really stood out. At times he looked like a man against boys, and keep in mind he was only a JR at the time. I had not heard he was injured, that's really unfortunate. My understanding is he's a TE prospect in football too.
                    Curry has been impressive since seeing him his freshman year at Valley. What I have read about him being a college prospect is that most seem to think that he is a bit of a tweener. He is not quick enough to play SF and not big enough to be a PF. It sounds like Drake has considered offering him at times but appears to be a borderline D2/D1 prospect from his recruitment. I was also a little surprised his recruiting wasn't heavier the last few years.

As far as Brinkmeyer, I was just a little surprised that he wasn't playing varsity as a sophomore if we are offering him (as well as North Dakota). I understand Valley was pretty stacked last year but I find it odd. How many UNI recruits the past few years didn't play varsity as a sophomore? It does sound like he had a pretty impressive summer so he will probably have a breakout year.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum2010 View Post
                      Curry has been impressive since seeing him his freshman year at Valley. What I have read about him being a college prospect is that most seem to think that he is a bit of a tweener. He is not quick enough to play SF and not big enough to be a PF. It sounds like Drake has considered offering him at times but appears to be a borderline D2/D1 prospect from his recruitment. I was also a little surprised his recruiting wasn't heavier the last few years.

As far as Brinkmeyer, I was just a little surprised that he wasn't playing varsity as a sophomore if we are offering him (as well as North Dakota). I understand Valley was pretty stacked last year but I find it odd. How many UNI recruits the past few years didn't play varsity as a sophomore? It does sound like he had a pretty impressive summer so he will probably have a breakout year.
                      I agree with the not starting comment. Even at the large school level here, some of the best teams' best players are DII types. That's Iowa HS basketball. That said, obviously the coaches saw something in him at AAU. He also could be more of a late bloomer (especially as a big), could've been hurt, who knows? I vaguely remember hearing his name somewhere, mentioned as a recruit. A Valley coach, parent, something like that.

Dowling also has a big guy about the same age who's gotten some good publicity for his play this summer. Can't remember his name, but he did play last year on a pretty good team.

Edit: the Dowling player above is Sam Ingoli. He's playing in the same Barnstormers team as AJ Green, Joey Hauser, Weiskamp, etc. I have no idea of what his projected upside/playing level is.
                      Last edited by SteinPizza; 08-03-2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                        I agree with the not starting comment. Even at the large school level here, some of the best teams' best players are DII types. That's Iowa HS basketball. That said, obviously the coaches saw something in him at AAU. He also could be more of a late bloomer (especially as a big), could've been hurt, who knows? I vaguely remember hearing his name somewhere, mentioned as a recruit. A Valley coach, parent, something like that.

Dowling also has a big guy about the same age who's gotten some good publicity for his play this summer. Can't remember his name, but he did play last year on a pretty good team.

Edit: the Dowling player above is Sam Ingoli. He's playing in the same Barnstormers team as AJ Green, Joey Hauser, Weiskamp, etc. I have no idea of what his projected upside/playing level is.
                        Ingoli has had a North Dakota offer too for quite a while, but that is his only offer. He looks a lot like Harrison Barnes. Decent jump shot. A few more inches and I would guess he would really blow up.

Comment

Shae Mitchell offered.

The best prospect in the Minnesota class of 2018 is Lakeville's Shae Mitchell. The 6'6 athletic wing was one of the most versatile prospects in the 6th annua...

Comment

Jeremy Morgan 2.0?

Comment

What is happening in Iowa City in terms of BB recruitment? Is this the best week ever for Mad Fran? Wonder if it will have any impact on local kids being recruited by UNI.

Comment

Seems a little weird to me that they picked up two more bigs. 1,2, and some 3 will need to be played between 5 guys counting Fran's son next year. The rest of the lineup is made up of big 3's, 4's and 5's.

Comment

Working...
                                X