WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jevon Lyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was an indication (if I am recalling correctly) that Lyle was the best incoming defender of the class. Jake loves the d. But not that much.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Comment

• Re: Jevon Lyle

Jevon Lyle ends up being the first player from his class to make it to the big dance.

Plays for Wisconsin Milwaukee. (On the roster. Does not play much.)
      Explore the 2023-24 Milwaukee Panthers NCAAM roster on ESPN. Includes full details on point guards, shooting guards, power forwards, small forwards and centers.

Comment

Yes, we probably could have gotten the Tiby kid, and Malcom Moore out of City High is on the team too (a lot of baggage there, don't think we wanted him)

Right now the Bison are playing for a trip to the dance with a few Iowa kids on the team.

Comment

Maybe we should move out of the Valley to one of these terrible conferences so that we can dominate them left, right and upside down every year. The fact that we continue t cannibalize ourselves in the Valley so much each year and end up with just the auto bid like these POS conferences is mind boggling.

Indiana State really dropped the ball this year

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
            Maybe we should move out of the Valley to one of these terrible conferences so that we can dominate them left, right and upside down every year. The fact that we continue t cannibalize ourselves in the Valley so much each year and end up with just the auto bid like these POS conferences is mind boggling.

If getting to the ncaa is the goal then yes. if actually having a chance to win some games in the dance then no. Who wants to be a 13 or 14 seed even though you win the conference. Plus the caliber of the athlete we can recruit drops off.

Comment

Let's blame all this on Indiana St. that seems reasonable. I'm glad we exceeded expectations and can hold our heads high.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                Let's blame all this on Indiana St. that seems reasonable. I'm glad we exceeded expectations and can hold our heads high.
                Yep, because that's exactly what I said. It's just the Sycamores fault.

The Valley as a whole continues to screw itself, and this year was a particularly bad time to do it with a likely NCAA team in Creighton leaving. With Wichita soaring sky high with its season and putting the conferences RPI on it's back, Indiana Stats and us, to a lesser extent (you could also argue for teams like Missouri State who were successful early in the year), had the door wide open to also beat up on a "weak" and young crop of Valley teams and make strong cases for a 2nd and possibly, under the right circumstances, a 3rd bid to the dance.

Instead teams like Southern, Illinois State, Bradley and Loyola (heck throw in half the league) crapped the bed in the non-conference, despite absolute cupcake schedules and then all of a sudden figured things out for a couple games once league play gets underway. Take out the cupcake part and we're guilty of it too this year. And this isn't the first year we're experiencing this either. Even with the loss of Creighton the league refuses to be really crappy or really good. It's always a mix of mediocrity that causes a huge jumble from 2 or 3 thru the very bottom. That's great when you're a major conference and people give you the benefit of the doubt. It's really bad when you're a mid-major trying to separate itself as a very competitive conference (which we are).

I guess the point is that I'm tired of this league (albeit a very young league this year) scheduling poorly and playing poorly in the non-conference season because it kills any legitimacy we've tried to build over the last 10-15 years with multiple NCAA teams for many of those seasons. To have that happen either tells me we are a godawful league with multiple teams that belong at the very bottom of the D-I ranks or that we do a terrible job overall at preparing for inferior opponents (which I believe was a reflection of both coaching and youth this season). I lean towards the latter because there are many indications that we have some solid teams in this league. Whatever down year people expected for the Valley definitely didn't happen to the extent that we believed at first. Sure, the Shox ran wild but they definitely endured some close calls and there is no doubt they are the best equipped team in the league...but the top 3-4 of this league were still supposed to dribble circles around the bottom half this season. Obviously that didn't happen which I think is a positive in more ways than a negative.

Comment

Yep, because that's exactly what I said. It's just the Sycamores fault.

The Valley as a whole continues to screw itself, and this year was a particularly bad time to do it with a likely NCAA team in Creighton leaving. With Wichita soaring sky high with its season and putting the conferences RPI on it's back, Indiana Stats and us, to a lesser extent (you could also argue for teams like Missouri State who were successful early in the year), had the door wide open to also beat up on a "weak" and young crop of Valley teams and make strong cases for a 2nd and possibly, under the right circumstances, a 3rd bid to the dance.

Instead teams like Southern, Illinois State, Bradley and Loyola (heck throw in half the league) crapped the bed in the non-conference, despite absolute cupcake schedules and then all of a sudden figured things out for a couple games once league play gets underway. Take out the cupcake part and we're guilty of it too this year. And this isn't the first year we're experiencing this either. Even with the loss of Creighton the league refuses to be really crappy or really good. It's always a mix of mediocrity that causes a huge jumble from 2 or 3 thru the very bottom. That's great when you're a major conference and people give you the benefit of the doubt. It's really bad when you're a mid-major trying to separate itself as a very competitive conference (which we are).

I guess the point is that I'm tired of this league (albeit a very young league this year) scheduling poorly and playing poorly in the non-conference season because it kills any legitimacy we've tried to build over the last 10-15 years with multiple NCAA teams for many of those seasons. To have that happen either tells me we are a godawful league with multiple teams that belong at the very bottom of the D-I ranks or that we do a terrible job overall at preparing for inferior opponents (which I believe was a reflection of both coaching and youth this season). I lean towards the latter because there are many indications that we have some solid teams in this league. Whatever down year people expected for the Valley definitely didn't happen to the extent that we believed at first. Sure, the Shox ran wild but they definitely endured some close calls and there is no doubt they are the best equipped team in the league...but the top 3-4 of this league were still supposed to dribble circles around the bottom half this season. Obviously that didn't happen which I think is a positive in more ways than a negative.
                  Good post--SOS is the big drawdown for all Valley teams unless you are willing to take your chances on the road. The only thing now that penalizes a poor SOS is its use in the tie breaker for seeding in the Valley tourney. Not many years ago the nation criticized UNI for having a very high RPI because we had manipulated the SOS. HUH? You schedule teams that are willing to play you and in some cases only with their ok for when and where. Throw in the roller coaster effect that losing your best player for whatever reason may take a team from 20 wins the year before to struggling the year you schedule them thus weakening your SOS. Then throw in the power conferences not wanting or having to risk playing away and I don't know how anybody can say it's a crap shoot at best in what your preseason SOS will be.

Comment

I absolutely love that Jake schedules aggressively.

Look at Missouri State. They won 20 games and were 11-2 headed into the Valley, but even with a great Valley year they had almost no chance for an at large because of a 280ish SOS.

We'd have easily won 22 or 23 games with that schedule and had the exact same thing to show for it.
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                      I absolutely love that Jake schedules aggressively.

Look at Missouri State. They won 20 games and were 11-2 headed into the Valley, but even with a great Valley year they had almost no chance for an at large because of a 280ish SOS.

We'd have easily won 22 or 23 games with that schedule and had the exact same thing to show for it.

Yep. I'm of the opinion that its better to error on the side of toughness and at least give yourself a shot to post an impressive resume.

MSU and Ill St have been the poster-children for the other side of this the last few years. 20+ win seasons and even winning a conference title has yielded them zero tournament bids due to weak scheduling.
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                        MSU and Ill St have been the poster-children for the other side of this the last few years. 20+ win seasons and even winning a conference title has yielded them zero tournament bids due to weak scheduling.
                        This cannot be overstated. I would love to see the MVC implement tougher penalties for deliberately not scheduling a tough non-con. It's incredibly easy to have a top-175 SOS without even playing a top tier BCS team. There is 0 reason for having a 200+ SOS even if some teams who were supposed to be good end up having a bad season.

Take away conference money, continue to stress it's importance for seeding, anything but please Elgin, make those crappy teams at the bottom stop compounding their crappiness by scheduling inferior competition. If you're going to lose, may as well lose to good teams from good conferences rather than the depths of D-I like freakin' Jackson State (looking at you Aces). Otherwise they are dragging the conference,as a whole down, with they're shipwrecks.
                        Last edited by panther-state; 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Jevon is playing for Milwaukee right now vs Wisconsin on BTN. Had no idea he was still around.

Comment

Did he change his name to JR Lyle?
                            Originally posted by TH1974
                            This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Working...
                            X