WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final scholy filled for 2011---Deon Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final scholy filled for 2011---Deon Mitchell

Kwadzo is a lock for at least the d-keague.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
      Interesting that the news channel story mentions that he expects to contribute immediately - hope he doesn't react badly if he is asked to red shirt.
      From some of the articles I've read I think the reason he came here was because Jake told him he would play immediately. I would be surprised if he redshirts.
      Top ten UNI football plays from 2001-2011

Comment

Looked at the tape. Looks like he has some range, taking 28'-30' shots. Needs to work on his jump shot form a bit (jumping forward instead of up/down). Looks like the typical HS senior / college FR - needs to hit the weight room hard.

Think AJ size (maybe shorter), with more range.

Interesting that the news channel story mentions that he expects to contribute immediately - hope he doesn't react badly if he is asked to red shirt.
        The things I've heard and seen on Mitchell tell me he will be providing quality minutes right away. Remember that at one point AJ WASN'T going to be redshirted until his season was flushed away with mono his true freshman year. I think this is a similar situation, and that Deon is a big-time recruit for us.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
        -Eldon Miller

Comment

We are going to have 18 guards battling for playing time next year. Our center may be 6'3"

Comment

i dont think they expected AJ to play. he played garbage minutes against marquette and thats it IIRC. then, he conveniently got mono to save a redshirt year

Comment

Hey, man... take your conspiracy theories elsewhere. There's no denying that it ended up being a huge boon for his game, the team, and the program.

-Eldon Miller

Comment

Other thing I forgot to mention is that Deon needs to work on his left dribbling if he plans on playing the point. 98% of the clips I have seen (admitting small % of playing time) he is dribbling exclusively with the right hand.

Comment

Other thing I forgot to mention is that Deon needs to work on his left dribbling if he plans on playing the point. 98% of the clips I have seen (admitting small % of playing time) he is dribbling exclusively with the right hand.
                  I noticed that too, but I also noticed that he's smart enough on the floor that a skill like that could be taught to him pretty quickly. I'm just floored by now much of an orchestrator he is on offense. I've noticed our offense needs great point play to work at top level, and he might be the guy for it.

-Eldon Miller

Comment

This kid has all the ability to be great, but let's remember that Coach Jake is a system guy...both offense and defense. Deon will have a lot to learn very quickly to earn his minutes. Not saying that he can't do it (Johnny did), but some need some time to get it all figured out. What a talent, though. Glad to have him STAY a Panther.

Comment

• Re: Final scholy filled for 2011---Deon Mitchell

I am so excited to see what Panther basketball can do next season. Everyone outside of UNI is going to talk about the loss of Kwadzo and a guy like O'Rear (because no one ever seems to remember talking about the same exact thing the year before) and while the contributions of those guys can't be denied by any length, I think we can all agree that we have plenty of guys who are more than capable of making the same contributions. I still cant pick who will hurt more to lose, Luke or Kwadzo. Kwadzo is without a doubt (in my mind) our best player, but I think Sonnen AJ and Johnny are more than able to fill in for him at guard. Luke on the other hand is an X-factor who's hustle, intensity and prescence are the biggest part of his game. Im not sure if Chip and Pehl are capable at filling those shoes. If anything I think Johnny is the next closest thing to Luke...except he isnt 6'6

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                        I am so excited to see what Panther basketball can do next season. Everyone outside of UNI is going to talk about the loss of Kwadzo and a guy like O'Rear (because no one ever seems to remember talking about the same exact thing the year before) and while the contributions of those guys can't be denied by any length, I think we can all agree that we have plenty of guys who are more than capable of making the same contributions. I still cant pick who will hurt more to lose, Luke or Kwadzo. Kwadzo is without a doubt (in my mind) our best player, but I think Sonnen AJ and Johnny are more than able to fill in for him at guard. Luke on the other hand is an X-factor who's hustle, intensity and prescence are the biggest part of his game. Im not sure if Chip and Pehl are capable at filling those shoes. If anything I think Johnny is the next closest thing to Luke...except he isnt 6'6
                        But....The guys we have coming in and we redshirted this season sound like they will make immediate impacts in filling those guys shoes and keeping the Panthers on top of the MVC

Comment

View the latest news and breaking news today in Round Rock, TX for weather, business, politics, education and more at Austin-American Statesman.

The Daily Inside Look at Grassroots and High School Basketball in the Austin/San Antonio Area. Brought to you by Coach Max Ivany, one of the Nation's most well connected and premier evaluators of Boys and Girls Talent for the College Level.

Pflugerville 71 Round Rock McNeil 59
                          Balanced scoring by Darrian Dempsey with 18, Deon Mitchell (Northern Iowa--14) & Storm Woods (Oregon State-football)-14) led the Panthers to the win. Blair Williams of McNeil led all scorers with 21 in a losing effort.
                          They are now 23-4. Deon is averaging 20.6 PPG, 54% from FG, 43% from 3, 78% FT, 4.6 APG, 2.1 RPG, 2.4 SPG, 2.4 TO/G
                          The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Sorry guys, I've been away for a little bit and haven't updated PN on Deon Mitchell. Since I've been gone....

His Pfluggerville team is now ranked #17 in the nation by Max Preps
                            They are ranked #5 in the state of Texas with a record of 28-4

He is now averaging 20.4 PPG, 53% from FG, 44% from 3, 78% FT, 4.5 APG, 2.1 RPG, 2.5 SPG, 2.4 TO/G

Latest game:
                            I received a lot of texts this morning asking where my playoff recaps were.  Sorry, blame my 5 month old grandson, Julian as I was on house ...

Pflugerville 76 Austin Anderson 60
                            The Trojans hung tough for almost 3 quarters, but Pflugerville was too deep. 2011 W Cameron Blue had 23 points and 2011 G Deon Mitchell (Northern Iowa) ran the show and dropped 20 for the Panthers.
                            Against Stony Point the previous week, he had 14 points, 1 board, 3 assists, and 9 steals.

They are now in the state playoffs. The bracket can be found here.
                            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Good read about mitchell

http://pflugervillepflag.com/2011/02...s-to-playoffs/

Comment

I am starting to think we are going to start four guards next year. It seems to work ok for Villanova...
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X