WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 MVC volleyball tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 MVC volleyball tournament

After tonight's matches, my calculations indicate that no matter what happens tommorrow night, Missouri State will end up with the #1 seed and Wichita State will end up with the #2 seed.

UNI will end up as the #3 seed UNLESS the unlikely scenario plays out of UNI losing at Indiana State, SIU beating MSU, and Evansville beating WSU (in which case SIU would edge UNI in power rating).

Illinois State is locked into the #5 seed and Loyola is locked into the #6 seed regardless.

So with the exception of that one scenario, the conference tournament pairings will look like this:

QF 1: #4 SIU vs. #5 Illinois State (Thurs. 5 p.m.)
    QF 2: #3 UNI vs. #6 Loyola (Thurs. 7:30 p.m.)

SF 1: #1 MSU vs. SIU/ILS winner (Fri. 5 p.m.)
    SF 2: #2 WSU vs. UNI/LU winner (Fri. 7:30 p.m.)

Championship: semifinal winners (Sat. 4 p.m.)

If the odd scenario plays out, UNI and SIU would switch seeds, and the match times would flip-flop (host team always plays in the late match, according to conference procedures)
    Last edited by vbfan19; 11-19-2016, 06:50 PM.

Re: 2016 MVC volleyball tournament

Interesting that they won't play matches less than 24 hours between them in conference play but are good with a final being played less than 20 hours after finishing a semifinal.
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
      Interesting that they won't play matches less than 24 hours between them in conference play but are good with a final being played less than 20 hours after finishing a semifinal.
      Regular season play involves travel between matches. This does not.
      They've used these same match times the past few years.

It would be nice to have the final start a little later (maybe 6), and that was the case 5 or so years ago. I wonder if they've gotten pressure from the NCAA, since the tournament selection is that next day, even though they don't actually announce the bracket until 9 p.m. (EST) that Sunday.

Comment

the basketball tournament has even shorter turnarounds sometimes.

Comment

The WatchESPN app on my Roku isn't getting me the mens games in the tournament (except via replay), so I was watching VB and listening to MBB on the radio. We looked really good in sets 2-4, all of the nice well-balanced play we've seen all season, plus we blocked like the UNI teams from a few years ago, that is to say like maniacs. Have to think we're no worse than co-favorites for the tournament, regardless of seed.

Comment

Oops, I was too busy looking at the power rating and set winning percentage tiebreakers that I forgot about the initial tiebreak.

If UNI beats Indiana State and Wichita State loses at Evansville, then UNI would win the #2 seed due to having won both matches against WSU.

Though I really don't think the Aces can pull off that upset, even if the Shockers spent all their prep this week on SIU.

Comment

and it's official. UNI vb finished 3rd in the MVC, and will play the #6 seeded Loyola Ramblers on Thanksgiving night at 7:30 pm, with the winner to face #2 seeded Wichita State at 7:30 pm on Friday. (or 30 minutes after the conclusion of the 5 p.m. matches each night, if they should happen to run long)

Comment

Soooo, what now? Are we in?!?
                TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

season is done. RPI won't be high enough for an at-large.
                  Winning tonight and losing to MSU may have bumped us high enough, but without that extra win, I don't think it will be enough.
                  99% sure at least.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                    season is done. RPI won't be high enough for an at-large.
                    Winning tonight and losing to MSU may have bumped us high enough, but without that extra win, I don't think it will be enough.
                    99% sure at least.
                    Isn't our RPI higher at this point than it was last year? And Wichita is ahead of us in the RPI, so ours shouldn't be affected that greatly?

Comment

Originally posted by unifan View Post
                      Isn't our RPI higher at this point than it was last year? And Wichita is ahead of us in the RPI, so ours shouldn't be affected that greatly?
                      Last year, UNI's RPI was at about 45 going into the tournament selection, and they just barely made it in.

This year, UNI's RPI prior to the MVC tournament was 44, factoring in the win over Loyola (RPI of 159) and the loss to Wichita State (RPI of 35), and with just how close the grouping is in that range of the RPI rankings, I'm fairly sure UNI will drop a few spots, putting them outside of the bubble.

Comment

okay, now that my emotions have settled down a bit after the sting of that loss, I'll give UNI a 50/50 shot at getting an at-large. Looks like they may have been relatively few upsets in conference tournaments, so the bubble may move favorably for UNI (hopefully they look favorably on UNI's aggressive non-conference scheduling, and a few good wins).

Still it was tough watching that match last night, seeing UNI falter in the latter sets and WSU getting stronger.

Comment

I'd love to see us get in.
                          TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

seeing a few "bracketology" type projections saying that UNI is in. we'll see how accurate they are.

If UNI does make it in, there are a number of fairly close likely seeds/hosts that they could be sent to:
                            - Wisconsin
                            - Nebraska
                            - Minnesota
                            - Kansas
                            - Missouri
                            (all with RPI projections in the top 12, and likely to be one of the 16 seeded teams/host sites if they put in bids)

Creighton is close to seed-range ranking, but I doubt they get it given how many other highly ranked teams are nearby.

Comment

We are in!

Comment

Working...
                              X