WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big 12 football required to play against power 5 team or Notre Dame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12 football required to play against power 5 team or Notre Dame

One of many links:
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-going-forward

This is all about resume building in order to look good for the BCS playoffs, but this also will affect UNI in the future:

The Big 12 also mandated that its members play no more than one game annually against an FCS opponent going forward.

It's good that the Big 12 (unlike the other Power 5 conferences) is still willing to play FCS schools. Hopefully the powers that be at ISU recognize and maintain the rivalry with UNI on a regular basis.

Re: Big 12 football required to play against power 5 team or Notre Dame

I wonder with the Pac 12 and Notre Dame being left out how long it will be before there is an 8 team field-power 5 Champions, one best of the rest conferences and two at large from the power 5. Hopefully you will see this go back the other way. Who you play in the nonconference will not affect your chances. I find it interesting that Iowa didn't follow the plan to schedule up and they made it.

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
      One of many links:
      This is all about resume building in order to look good for the BCS playoffs, but this also will affect UNI in the future:

The Big 12 also mandated that its members play no more than one game annually against an FCS opponent going forward.
      How does this effect UNI? What Big 12 school played more than one FCS opponent?
      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
        If they are required to drop one of their cupcake FBS games in order to schedule a P5 game, maybe they drop UNI in favor of a bad FCS team to increase their odds of winning?

Comment

Baylor and TCU are who this is aimed at

Comment

Originally posted by Barnstormer View Post
            If they are required to drop one of their cupcake FBS games in order to schedule a P5 game, maybe they drop UNI in favor of a bad FCS team to increase their odds of winning?
            Originally posted by claw View Post
            Baylor and TCU are who this is aimed at
            He said:
            but this also will affect UNI in the future:

Thus my question.
            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

He said:

Thus my question.

There was 2 questions

Comment

Barnstormer's response is what I'm thinking could happen. I'm glad that ISU is willing to play (and possibly sees the value in playing) UNI on a regular basis.

I know contracts are signed through the 2020 season or thereabouts, but at least this mandate gives ISU the ability to continue the rivalry (unlike the Big 10s and other conferences policies).

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                  There was 2 questions
                  I should have edited down to that part. Fixed it

Comment

limiting their teams to only playing one FCS game a year makes sense.

As far as conferences like the Big Ten (and any others following their lead), I think it would make more sense to instead of saying "no games against FCS teams", they should say "no games against teams ranked 150 or below [in the latest season ending rankings at the time the game is contracted]" (in Sagarin, or some other similar ranking system that includes all of Div. I).
                    That would allow them to play good FCS teams, but would stop them from scraping the bottom of the barrel. Of course, it would also stop them from scraping the bottom of the barrel of the FBS (such as North Texas).

Comment

"Only twice has one of the SEC’s current programs played two FCS teams in a season, Ole Miss in 2009 and Texas A&M in 2012, the Aggies’ first year in the SEC. Every SEC vs. FCS game was hosted by the SEC school."

Comment

Working...
                      X