WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Rhoads' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
    can we all agree that Iowa State HC is NOT a good job.

Lakes, you are working too hard. You must think your coach will actually consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
      can we all agree that Iowa State HC is NOT a good job.
      Money talks. It's certainly not an attractive job from a recruiting and schedule stand point. It is an attractive job from a facilities, fan support, and job security stand point. Toss in a few million dollars and somebody will jump at the chance. After its all said and done, ISU will have paid Rhoads ~$20 million not bad for getting fired after 7 seasons.

Comment

Kind of hard to turn down an offer for 5x or 7x guaranteed for 4-6 years. I'd take the ISU HC job for half what Rhodes was paid.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Comment

I think Rhoads is a hell of a recruiter. Look at what he has in guys like Warren, Lazard, etc...

However this season has shown that he is not a reliable guy to lead a team through the Big XII. He got his guys fired up and playing great for the 1st half of most of their games only to fall flat on their faces in the 2nd half, most notably these past 2 games. Yesterday was a great example of a coach losing a game. Kneel the damn ball and you win the game.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
            Where was the big emergency last week with the quarterbacks, given ONE GAME? I just gave the numbers, and, compared to the night of hurling up prayers from the three point line, and there's no comparison.

Yes, the coach is RARELY solely responsible, but on that evening, the coach was solely responsible for not stopping those players from continuing to throw up long range three point shots that no one was hitting. That is ONE INSTANCE where a coach can clearly be held accountable, and he did nothing to coach those guys to shoot high percentage shots. Yes, a coach can bench a quarterback, but if the quarterback makes a good pass and it gets intercepted, that's not on the coach at all.

Come on, boys! We got another big ol, BOO-YAH in us, don't we?!

Please explain the underlined statement in bold above that you posted in the UNI vs. NDSU thread. How do you hold a coach accountable who is under contract? I think the same way ISU just held Paul Rhodes accountable.

I know you will say that wasn't your intent and not what you meant. You only meant he should have his raise rescinded and his whistle taken away for the 1st month of practice.
            You said this, "Just remember Ban is the one who wanted Coach Jake fired for losing a Sweet 16 game. That is the first and only time since he's emerged from the womb that a coach has ever deserved to be fired."

Now, in the quote that you provided, did I say anything about wanting to see him fired?

Why do you lie to the forums? Please explain.
            Last edited by ban basketball; 11-22-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
              Most fans are expecting 6 wins/season. Which could have been hit this season, even with one of the toughest schedules in the nation.
              Horrible coaching decisions cost ISU the Toledo, Okie St, and KSU games. Win those three games and ISU is sitting at 6 wins. Win two of them and they are playing for 6 wins next weekend at WVU.

And if you're happy with a bowl birth every 5 years and a bowl win every decade, then I'm glad you aren't ISU's AD. Even Rhoads made it to 3 bowls in 7 years with a win, and that got him fired. ISU has the facilities, fan support, and money to win 6-7 games/year. It just depends how much they are willing to spend.
              Fair enough, I guess we just have different expectations of ISU which is understandable given our respective loyalties.

From an outsiders perspective I look at the fact Rhoads is responsible for 33% of the bowl births in the entire history of ISU football and get a bit skeptical at the notion a new coach will achieve significantly better results. I'll admit a bowl win every 10 years might have been a little pessimistic given the number of invites in the modern FBS system (even though it would actually be an improvement over ISU's historical average). Let me just say watching the cyclones win more than one post season game every 5 years would be a big surprise to me and a huge step forward for the program.
              Originally posted by TH1974
              This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                Didn't know I had to be "friends of the family" to show some simple respect for the deceased. Nice one Ban. Keep it classy.
                And nor did I know that when one doesn't know the last name of a deceased person that it is some apparent show of disrespect.

Comment

You'd be surprised.

Here are some notable P5 teams and how many coaches they've gone through in the last 2 decades. (Not counting interim coaches)

Louisville - 6
                  Kentucky - 6
                  North Carolina - 6
                  Pitt - 6
                  Indiana - 6
                  Kansas - 6
                  Nebraska - 5
                  Arizona - 5
                  Stanford - 5
                  UCLA - 5
                  Minnesota - 5
                  Alabama - 5
                  Arkansas - 5
                  Florida - 5
                  Illinois - 5
                  Ole Miss - 5
                  Baylor - 5
                  Wisconsin - 5
                  Oregon St - 5

There are only a handful of teams that have had 3 or less head coaches in the last 2 decades. ISU having 4 is average. You can't judge a program based on how many coaches they go through. Some of those winning programs will go through more coaches just because you have less time to win. That's one thing ISU can sell, is job security. They won't be chasing you out of town in 2 years if you haven't won 8+ games.
                  A large majority of those are not winning programs. The ones that are, lost their coach to the NFL. To try & put the clowns into this camp is a joke. They don't come anywhere into the stratosphere against these programs.

Comment

Money talks. It's certainly not an attractive job from a recruiting and schedule stand point. It is an attractive job from a facilities, fan support, and job security stand point. Toss in a few million dollars and somebody will jump at the chance. After its all said and done, ISU will have paid Rhoads ~$20 million not bad for getting fired after 7 seasons.
                    This is traditionally one of the worst FBS coaching jobs in the U.S. The stuff you mentioned is simply what is needed to be in the FBS so nearly all schools have that. There are a ton of open jobs so look for another rerun performance from the Clowns in their search.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                      This is traditionally one of the worst FBS coaching jobs in the U.S. The stuff you mentioned is simply what is needed to be in the FBS so nearly all schools have that. There are a ton of open jobs so look for another rerun performance from the Clowns in their search.
                      One of the worst jobs in FBS no.... They are certainly far down the list of most attractive power 5 jobs but it's certainly not at the bottom of FBS.
                      "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

A large majority of those are not winning programs. The ones that are, lost their coach to the NFL. To try & put the clowns into this camp is a joke. They don't come anywhere into the stratosphere against these programs.
                        My point was that coaching changes are made all the time and you can't judge a program based on how many coaches they have had.
                        Learn to read.

Comment

One of the worst FBS jobs in the US? Not even close.
                          One of the worst BCS jobs in the US? Yep.

And why are you even in this thread? You hate the clowns and don't want ISU fans or any threads dealing with ISU in this forum. So why are you posting here?
                          You're so predictable too, because here's what your reply will be:
                          "This is Panther Nation blah blah, you should be the one leaving, not me! I've been a UNI fan for over 100 years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                            One of the worst jobs in FBS no.... They are certainly far down the list of most attractive power 5 jobs but it's certainly not at the bottom of FBS.

What makes it unattractive is:

1) Location. It is hard to recruit players to come north from the south and west. And there is not a plethora of in-state players like Ohio.

2) Conference. It is hard to win when you are playing some of the best teams in the country week-after-week.

What makes it attractive is:

1) Conference. Having the opportunity to play the best teams is also what allows you to be a breakout coaching star.

2) Facilities. The stadium and practice facilities are outstanding.

3) Fan support. Most "winning" programs would love to have the fan base.

4) Salary. Being in the Big 12 means Big 12 money flows to the school and that means a huge salary.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                              4) Salary. Being in the Big 12 means Big 12 money flows to the school and that means a huge salary.
                              Salary to a normal human is incredibly attractive. Relative to what other Big 12 coaches are being paid, not so much. Rhoades was second lowest paid Big 12 coach @ $2.2 million this year.

Comment

So any ideas on who the next coach might be/ who they're looking at CyDave and UNIdad?
                                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                                - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                                X