WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Football Signee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Football Signee

The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Re: Late Football Signee

Story on Skyler Suggs, and his brother Scott who is a 6'6" guard at U Washington

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlou...10/story2.html

Comment

According to coaches at UNI Skyler could fill one of many roles on the football team, including their "Amphibian" linebacker position
      While I've never claimed to be a football expert, I thought I was at least passingly familiar with its terminology.

However, this is the first time I've ever heard of an Amphibian linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
        While I've never claimed to be a football expert, I thought I was at least passingly familiar with its terminology.

Same here. It's been awhile since I talked schemes with a coach type, but in UNI's D this is probably the position that Jamar Thompson plays now. A kind of hybrid S/LB that could line up just about anywhere on the weak side. It creates some havoc for the OC, QB, and Center because you have to account for him on every play, and since he's moving around it makes for more potential offensive mistakes. If this kid is long and kind of lean, then that's another clue. If he's built like his brother (per the second article), he's too tall to play inside. A good guess says he's really athletic too, if for no other reason than his brother is 6'6 and being recruited to play hoops by Illinois, Arizona, etc. You're usually not a bruiser type at 6'6 and attracting interest from those programs. A good bet says the kid can run and jump like no tomorrow.

One of the few notable exceptions to being tall and playing inside was Bryce Paup, who was around 6'5 and played ILB. He was good enough, however, that he probably could've picked a position and the coaches would've said OK. Even kicker.

Comment

Suggs was on various MO all-star lists for basketball.

My questions is why is he available so late in the year - there is no listing for him on scout or rivals. Was he looking for a BB offer, or is there more of a story?

Comment

Do we need an amphibian linebacker in the Dome?

Comment

Amphibian linebacker.
              Do we get a contract with Sobe now too?
              Originally posted by rockybison
              You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan View Post
                Do we need an amphibian linebacker in the Dome?
                depends how well the roof fix holds up.

Comment

could this be a double recruit for UNI then?

He may or may not be something that Jake wants to put on the court when it comes down to game time, but if we can get bodies in practice uniforms that want to play, it can only increase the skill and ability of our guys.
                  Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X